1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fuzz Bass - obscure 60's folk rock redone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bkbirge, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake

[​IMG]

This is a cover of an obscure 60's tune by the band The Lonely Things, called Our Generation. The original was recorded in 1965 as a demo when the band members were 15 years old, you can hear the only surviving sample of it at the link listed below. Go listen, it's pretty cool to hear quintessential 60's garage folk rock in it's purest form.

Lonely Things
    Although they never had an official 45 release, The Lonely Things, from Providence, Rhode Island, recorded an unreleased demo whose top side ended up being compiled on Arf Arf’s New England Teen Scene Unreleased CD. The song, ‘Our Generation’, was considered too much alike in nature to The Who’s ‘My Generation’ and therefore passed over.

This was a lot of fun to do. Everything was done in single takes and I moved fast. I changed the key so that the baritone guitar could hit the low B and added drums, distorted bass, some psycho flanger on a baritone track, and then the baritone lead lines. And of course the vocals. It's kind of Zappa meets the Ramones, psychedelic meets punk when they both get on the same folk rock bus.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014