Fuzz face off

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LowEndWooly, Oct 2, 2013.

1. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

I have had a few different fuzz pedals in the past, currently have a Swollen Pickle. It sounds cool, but it seems really extreme.. I can't find a mellow fuzz very well. Unless anyone is able to give advice on how to get it more mellow, I'm looking at getting a different fuzz.

Three contenders are:

FuzzHugger Bass Bloom with blend knob. The blend knob is really attractive, because it seems easy to set a mild fuzz or a in yo' face fuzz

EC Angry Ape: Seems similar to the wooly mammoth, which I like a lot, but didn't go well with my active bass. Is that the case with this one, too?

Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine: Heard a lot of great things about this one, but I don't know much about it.

I'd like for a mellow fuzz to be able to get more extreme if I wanted, but I also want it to play really well with an envelope filter (Super Fatman) and/or octave (MXR M288 deluxe).

2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

The FH Bass Bloom or ss/BS TAFM are the way to go for sure.
    If you go for the TAFM make sure to get one one with the footswitchable gate. That way if you put the octaver before it and the filter afterwards you can get really nice, synthy sounds. Plus it makes it seem like you have 2 pedals for one because when you switch the gate on the gain dimes (there is no way around it, it is inherent in the design, it sounds awesome too), so you can go from mellow to extreme by stomping.

3. bassbrad

bassbrad

I thought we were going to discuss the Fuzz Face pedal, I'll be movin' on now.

4. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Mellow? Some sort of Green Russian/clone run at low gain. W&C TFR would be a great choice.

Can't ever go wrong with a ss/bs TAFM either. That pedal can do anything.

7. behndy

behndy

why the **** would you want a mellow fuzz? weirdy.

everything Deltz said is right on the money. heard great things about the Bass Bloom, and Tom The Dalton is a helluva guy. the TAFM is just 7 flavors of BEAST. does so much.

and hell jia for two fuzz tones in one pedal with out knob wobblins.

8. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

Mellow because I don't want to play doomy stuff. I think a mellower fuzz would be cool. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm heading towards the Team Awesome!