Fuzz into DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JonnyAngle, Feb 18, 2014.

1. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

What's a good DI for going direct? I practice with headphones and it definitely doesn't sound the same as when I'm playing through an amp. In a gigging situation, I would prefer a DI so I can leave the amps at home altogether. I'm on a fuzzrocious binge right now (ram the man parts, rat tail, gray stache.)

Maybe I'm just looking for a cab sim before a DI box?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You need something to cut the highs. A DI passes everything it can to the board/headphones/etc and a speaker cab does not extend as high.

It's kind of the same thing as running a tweeter with distortion.
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

If you want some amp/cab emulation the Aguilar Tone Hammer and Darkglass B7K/Vintage Deluxe are great choices in my opinion! Many love the Sansamp VT, but I personally couldn't get into its voice. The Darkglass Vintage Deluxe is now my personal fovotite, though it will depend on the amp/cab you use whether you dig it!
  4. Swift713

Swift713

Digital amp modeling can get you there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cyed

Cyed

if you are a fuzz addict, i'm not sure you'll like the sound of a fuzz pedal through a cab sim.. it will cut the hi-freq and eliminate the gritty sound..
  7. sunbeast

Decent emulation should make it sound like he is playing through his amp/cab, which is what he is searching for. Most emulation devices I have used don't cut far enough into the high mids to hurt the meaty harmonics of a fuzz. Without emulation/EQ a DI'ed fuzz signal tends to be super fizzy in my experience- though I guess some folks might like that tone!

I forgot to add the Palmer PDI-09 to my list. I use one as a DI and it does a very passable cab sim when given to a decent sound guy- doesn't have much inherent character like the Darkglass or Aguilar, but is super simple/straightforward and can be found relatively cheap on the used market.
  8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

When I'm practicing with fuzz/distortion pedals direct to a small mixer with headphones, the Radial JDI does the trick for me. That Jensen transformer is magic to my ears. Sits perfectly between the uncolored, hot signals of most DIs and the overly baked-in EQs of most amp emulators and cab sims I've tried.
  9. open_space

open_space

I have a question about palmer: are you using it as a typical DI? In other words, do you run all your effects directly into it? Or are using it between your amp and cab to get the amp sound in the FOH?
  10. sunbeast

I've only used mine after my effects thus far as I know my Darkglass Vintage gives me a good useable tubey FOH tone. I have to give it a try at speaker level sometime- I tend to be a bit wary of that though just because of changing stage volumes (whereas the level from my pedalboard remains constant). I have used my Countryman Type 85 as a speaker level DI before for recording effectively, but the Palmer has a power rating limit that is relatively low for most bass rigs unless you are using a tube amp...not sure if that rating is to protect the DI or to ensure proper signal level on the output though.
  11. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

The new EBS ValveDrive DI is the sh*t!
  12. open_space

open_space

Would you prefer your Palmer over the Countryman for going direct when using pedals? I have the Type 85 but I have been considering the Palmer for quite some time for it's cab sim capabilities. I also have this crazy idea of running 2 DI's at the same time: Countryman before all pedals to get a good clean tone in the FOH and then some other cab sim DI post-effects and then combine 2 signals.
  13. sunbeast

I've only had the Palmer for a relatively short time and haven't AB'ed the two in a recording environment where the differences would become super evident. I definitely prefer the Palmer after potentially harsh FX just for headphone monitoring though, so I am confident that it is doing its job to the FOH as well. It definitely doesn't make my pedalboard sound like a big tube amp through a 6x10, but it sends a much more pleasantly sculpted (while not overly dull or bass-shy) signal to the FOH than a straight signal from a clean DI or my amp would (and given the hugely different response of a PA than a bass cab, you can't really expect it to sound the same in the audience anyway!). Do a search for the semi-recent thread comparison of the Palmer to a Mic'd amp and it should give you a pretty good idea of what the Palmer does.

As far as the two DI idea, I'd save that until your band has your own sound guy!
  14. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

I'm going to give the Palmer PDI09 a shot. I'll report back in a few weeks with my opinion
  15. Cyed

Cyed

I had use a di with cab sim, after a woolly mammoth for a recording.. I don't like the result, it sounds really muddy.. couldn't cut through the mix with another instruments.. :(

I think PDI-09 is a good choice.. the main feature of this DI is a tone shaping selector switch, it'll give you more options than a cab emulation..
  16. sunbeast

Most cab emulation is just EQ that rolls off the high-end (and often times low-end) to varying degrees. There are several different DIs with built-in emulation, and most have noticeably different responses from each other so just because one doesn't work for you doesn't mean others might not. Here is a cool page someone linked in a past thread about speaker/amp emulation that shows how different they can respond: http://www.franknitsch.com/speaker-sims/frequency-response.php

Also worth noting that the Palmer isn't "flat" in any settings (which I didn't realize when I got mine), so you have three different flavors to try.

As far as your recording with a Wooly Mammoth- in my experience that pedal can be tough to cut with even through an amp, so it may not be entirely the fault of the amp sim!
  17. sunbeast

I also forgot about another option that is the most tweakable at the price point by far (but I haven't had a chance to try one myself yet). The ADA GCS-2: http://www.adaamps.com/Products/ada-GCS2/GCS2.htm if I wasn't happy with the Palmer I'd definitely pick one of these up! I know there was at least one TB'er talking these up, but can't remember who.
  18. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I have a similar issue with my GK MB200 and headphones, but I think I'm gonna reallycut highs when using headphones to compensate. My headphones are more full range than my bass cabs, so my fuzz and signal in general has a bit more treble than I like.
  19. Cyed

Cyed

wow... nice info man..
    now I realize why I didn't work well with the cab sim.. the di that i used that time was redbox pro... :eek:
  20. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

I received my Palmer PDI-09 this morning and was able to try it out during lunch today. My initial reaction is, "WOW." The DI doesn't color your sound as an emulator would, but it does have the 3 different modes that are basically preset tone controls. I prefer the normal mode. If anyone is practicing with headphones or going direct, I would recommend this DI. I'll update more once I've played through it more.
  21. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Supporting Member

I don't even own one myself (yet), but I'm assuming 3Leaf Audio's The Enabler curbs this issue both for personal headphone practice purposes as well as DI use to a board in live applications?