1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fuzz Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Diaz, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Diaz

Diaz

I'm looking for a fuzz to use after the OC2 and get a kinda broken analog synth sound.

I've kinda narrowed it down to the WH Swollen Pickle Mk2 and the W&C Pickle Pie B. And i'm mainly looking for first-hand comments on them. :)

I'm not very fuzz savvy, i was checking the pickle pie b and quite liked the sound and the fact that it has a Mix knob(!), and that its Tone knob is way more aggressive in comparison to what i expected from Wren and Cuff.

But the WH Swollen Pickle's got that Crunch knob which makes it sound waaay more broken.

I've gotta say i like the idea of Mix knobs in almost all pedals (Pickle Pie), but that crunch knob in the Swollen Pickle sounds gold...

Any comments are most welcomed. :)

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I think the fuzz you are looking for is a smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, actually. Has a blend and usually comes with a gate option included; so it can go from subtle fuzz mix to full sputtery fuzzstortion.

3. Diaz

Diaz

Aw man...That Fuzz Machine does look awesome! I'll check some more demos of it first. If anyone's got any experience with it, i'll gladly listen to it. :)

4. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Consider some of the Brassmaster style circuits out there and some of the Devi Ever and Dwarfcraft stuff as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

I had the way huge. It worked way better with it ran through a blend pedal since it drops low end and gets real nasty at some settings. The clean blend helps keep the low end and keep a foundation going under the nasty.

It is an awesome pedal though.

7. Diaz

Diaz

How bad is the low end drop? :ninja: I had an EHX Black Russian Big Muff and the low end loss in it was quite bad if you didn't dial the Sustain knob (Fuzz) over 12' and close almost entirely the Tone knob. The resulting low end was quite monstrous but the pedal was otherwise very limited for bass use imo.

I'm familiar with the Dwarfcraft pedals but i think i'd rather go for a more regular fuzz sound (like i believe the Pickle Pie and Swollen Pickle offer without exaggerated settings) and then be able to get one or two cool knobs to play around with. <3

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

I have owned both and still own the pickle pie b... The swollen pickle just always sounded muddy in a band mix I hated it. I really wanted to like the pedal but it ended up getting sold. Another fuzz you might want to look at is the blackout effectors musket. I love that thing...

9. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

I agree about the swollen pickle getting lost in the mix. You can pull the deep end back out by adjusting the tone knob and the internal trim for the mid position. It just seems to get lost.

It does sound like a muff other wise. In my mind I think break up wouldn't be the word for what the crunch knob does. It more so a compress knob.

I never tried it with a blend or anything so I can't comment on a blend loops affect to the sound.

10. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    For the broken synth thing, go have a rummage around on ilovefuzz.com
    Those guys live for that kind of thing.
    Truly Beautiful Disaster comes to mind, but there are lots of bitcrushers and oddball fuzzes over there.

11. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

The small sound/bugsound buzz looks like it should be considered here as well.

12. cnltb

cnltb

I really like the unpleasant surprise.
    Quite a range of tones in that little box many very useable ones amongst them!

13. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

I wonder if by "broken" the OP means a gated fuzz? I'd looki into any fuzz with a gate. I've always wanted the TAFM w/a gate so if one becomes available in the TB classifieds leave it for me!!!

14. cnltb

cnltb

That unpleasant surprise does 'broken' really quite well!

15. Diaz

Diaz

Hey guys thanks a lot for the input! I should've been more specific about the "broken synth" thing, haha. I do want it to sound like what you'd get from a preset in Ableton or Logic that goes by "broken analog synth" :p And that's why i'm talking about the Swollen Pickle and the Pickle Pie (which have a very classic fuzz tone, i believe?). Kinda like the tone you get with the Swollen Pickle but the sustain/dynamic of the Musket.

To be honest, that Musket by Blackout Effectors sounds great but i think the one tone i was looking for is from the Swollen Pickle (and big thanks to that Crunch knob)! Though it was mentioned that there's low end loss :( I'll see if i can try one over here before deciding anything.
    And will check if there's mods to avoid low end loss with it at least :)

cheers!

16. Guinness20

Guinness20

The Mojo hand colossus is also worth a look, in the mould of the musket