1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fuzz Sound Clips for Comparison

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by circuitspore, Nov 17, 2012.

1. circuitspore

circuitspore

I got a bug up my tail a while back to try out a bunch of different fuzzes. Here's what I wound up with:

Sitori Sounds Bass Fuzz
    Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B
    Iron Ether Oxide
    Barge Concepts BB-jr.
    GGG Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz Clone
    Team Awesome Fuzz Machine
    Guyatone TZ2
    Big Muff Pi (Black Russian)

While I was deciding which pedals to keep, I recorded some sound clips of each one with various settings. Since I had all these clips, I figured I'd post them here - maybe they'll be of use to someone in the same situation as me.

My recording setup was not ideal. I prefer to use the direct out on my Ampeg SVT-3, but it lives in our rehearsal space. So I ended up using a Line6 Pod for a preamp. It's the guitar version, but I think I was able to get a decent 'clean' sound out of it.

The first clip is the clean bass. Everything else is some variation of fuzz. The bass is a 1984 MIJ Squier Precision Bass, played finger-style. The first riff is a sped-up version of Radiohead's "Myxomatosis" and the second riff is a slower on-the-fly thing to let you hear full notes.

I've uploaded everything into a SoundCloud playlist. Let me know if there's a better way to present everything.

Click here if the SoundCloud widget isn't working: http://soundcloud.com/hollowbodybass/sets/fuzz-shoot-out

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/hollowbodybass/sets/fuzz-shoot-out[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. neebs

neebs

I like:
    Oxide 3
    Pickle Pie B 1
    Pickle Pie B 2
    Shin-Ei Companion - 1
    Sitori Sounds
    Team Awesome Fuzz Machine 1
    Team Awesome Fuzz Machine 2

I'm torn between Oxide 3, Sitori Sounds, and Team Awesome Fuzz Machine 2...

I think overall though.. Sitori is my favorite.

3. smllsnd/bigsnd

smllsnd/bigsnd

Disclosures:
    owner, smallsound/bigsound
    cool! shootouts are always nice for hearing variations in pedals. :cool:

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Wow, I don't like any of these! Heh. Maybe the first Awesome Fuzz Machine clip is not too bad. But, I think I just learned that "fuzz" isn't my thing!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. circuitspore

circuitspore

Haha. There are so many flavors of fuzz, and so many potential combinations of settings within each pedal. I tend to set things to '10' for a wall of noise. I'm sure if I handed you all those pedals you could find a usable sound for you within one of them. Of course my playing probably didn't help your opinion of any of the clips, either.

Take the SS/BS Team Awesome Fuzz Machine for instance - I could probably do 15 different clips for it alone if I really wanted to (and I kinda feel like I should because I like the pedal better than I like the sound clips that I did of it).

I even noticed a big difference in the pedals depending on what bass I was using. I used a P bass for everything I posted, but if I used my Dearmond Jetstar, there were some not-so-subtle differences. In particular the Sitori Sounds and Companion Fuzz sound changed a good bit depending on the bass (and the amp for that matter).

7. scottfeldstein

To me, this is fuzz. (To you it's probably.. nothing. :)

I do use really big distortion effects, but they tend to be synthier, crazier sounds, not guitar-like distortions at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  8. neebs

neebs

I like your fuzz more than op's. :D I personally don't have any use for that much fuzz in the op's sound clips.. but I did like the sitori the most, can't take that back.

9. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

What are you using for a pedal there? I like that. Just a hint of fuzz.

10. scottfeldstein

Thanks. Strange answer to that question, actually.

I fell in love with the crazy antics of the Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion. I love how wacky and synthy it can get, especially when paired with their envelope filter. (And let's not even get into the Hot Hand controller!) [​IMG]

Anyway, I abandoned my previous attempts at introducing dirt into my signal (SansAmp models), and went wild with Source Audio.

Eventually, though, I found a problem. The one thing the Source Audio pedal didn't do exceedingly well was do a convincing, retro, tubey, big Ampeg rig-style sound. The kind of sound you want when doing classic rock or emulating almost any retro bass sounds.

The clip you listened to was my attempt to make it sound as close as possible. It's their "single band 'normal' distortion"; the tamest setting they have. And it's also blended around 50% with the dry signal, as you can see.

Not bad, I say. And you seem to like it. But it's still not quite close enough for me. I'm therefore augmenting my all-digital Source Audio distortion with an analog unit. I keep going back and forth on which one to get. The VT Bass sounds the most convincingly retro. But I think I might go with the MXR M80 DI+. The distortion is a little more modern, but it's got a good EQ and a good DI built in. That's a lot of utility for $125.

11. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nice. Thanks for the info. We seem to be after a similar sound. Just traded for an mxr bass fuzz deluxe myself. Saw a great demo of it on YouTube. You can dial in the dry sound. Was hoping to be able to do what you are doing. If the mxr doesn't work I may be looking at your pedal.