1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 1959FenderPBass, Dec 3, 2012.

1. 1959FenderPBass

1959FenderPBass

What Fuzz pedal does anyone recommend for an intermediate player??
  2. erigod23

erigod23

Smallsound/Bigsound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine.
    You should do a search, though. There are numerous fuzz threads, with a ton of useful info.
  3. wshines1892

wshines1892

What kind of music are you playing? An Electro Harmonix Muff is always a popular option. Any of them will do really. Everyone has a certain muff they like. You could always start with the bass big muff.
  4. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

This is one of the most unanswerable questions you will find in the effects section, everybody has their favorites and hates. Also, skill level shouldn't have anything to do with your choice of pedal, how the pedal sounds should make your decision. Some to check out are the Team Awesom Fuzz Machine, Big Muff (and the many variations of it) and the Sanford & Sonny Bluebeard. But there are many, many fuzzes, distortions and drives to try out.
  5. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog Supporting Member

Probably the stuff on a tennis ball.

Just about anything you will find in the classifieds here will be a great choice. Only you can really answer that question. It's a matter of taste in tone and budget.
  6. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog Supporting Member

Oh, you're incredibly new... Welcome to Talkbass.

Serious post since you're new;

There are several builder's here that hand build great fuzz pedals for the same you would pay for a "name brand" fuzz. Like I said above, search through the classifieds here and you'll discover so many options.

Also, check this page out- http://bassfuzz.com He has a lot of videos for you to shop by.

Best wishes,
  7. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent When in doubt, let your horse do the thinkin'. Supporting Member

While hesitant to pile on a thread that is superceded by piles of past threads on the same subject (search, young Jedi, SEARCH!), I gotta give a shout out to DMB Pedals for the most ominous and furrocious Bumble Bass Fuzz. I don't even really dig fuzz on bass that much, but this beast stays on my board... cuz when I stomp it, it makes me giggle and drool at the same time.

YMMV, but not by much.
  8. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Who does the hand build Fuzz pedals? I want one of those! Seriously I do.
  9. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

You might want to tell us more about yourself. You said you're an intermediate player, but that has nothing to do with fuzz choice.

Tell us about your gear, who inspires you, what sort of sound you hope to achieve, what music you play, and if you have a budget! I would personally recommend checking out Ryan's (Fuzzrocious) pedals. Ma and Pa (and children) company. Big contributor to the board and a large following. Plenty of touring/hard-working musicians use his pedals. My most used pedals are made by him.
  10. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

I would also recommend that you pose this question over at ilovefuzz.com as well. There are over a dozen boutique pedal builders that post there regularly, and they all make fantastic fuzz circuits.

It will be much easier to recommend specific pedals if you can give us a description of what kind of fuzz tone you're looking for, or even a youtube clip of a fuzz tone you'd like to get close to.
  11. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

another great brand of fuzz pedals come from wren and cuff and earthbound audio
  12. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

I agree with Will.

My Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B (low gain boost) is my always on pedal. It is my "clean" tone. The Earthbound Supercollider is one pedal I really want. The Iron Pig came in the mail yesterday and I am beyond stoked.

Assuming you play a P-bass, a Catalinbread SFT might not be a bad choice. That pedal will turn any P-bass into an evil, evil beast.
  13. necropain

necropain

Honestly i would recommend the Fender Sub-Lime it is my personal favorite though i play passive and i know lots of people on here play active so i dunno but it sounds great on my passive p-bass
  14. erigod23

erigod23

It's an avalanche of fuzz!
    Honestly, your question probably has as many answers as there are Talkbass members. Everyone will recommend the one(s) they're using.
  15. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Another vote here for the Fender Sublime! It's a very large pedal but it sounds great and is can be tweaked to get a variety of fuzz tones.
  16. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I'll throw in support for the Muff. There are so many variables in the Muff circuit that you can have ten different ones and have them all sound different. IMO the best variant for bass use is the Green Russian/Sovtek type. Wren and Cuff make a clone of this pedal that I think is very good, or you can do what I'm doing and tackle building one yourself! It's fun :D

--Silvie

BTW Welcome to Talkbass!
  17. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Lot's of great options listed above, but...

+1 ss/bs TAFM! Loving mine more and more every gig. It just works for me and my band right now.
  18. bassburton

bassburton

Welcome to the effects board, the source of so much effects GAS. I'd check out the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. It veers toward the muff end of the spectrum when it comes to fuzz. It's a guitar pedal; however, no low end is lost (at least to my ears). Also very tweakable, too.
  19. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Since ur at an intermediate skill level that doesn't leave a lot of options - I'd say ZVEX Woolly Mammoth @ $349.00. That's a good intermediate skill level fuzz. Afterall it's made famous here by Muse bassist Wolstenholme (I think he has intermediate skills)
  20. insomniac2295

insomniac2295 Supporting Member

Lawls