Fuzzquest: Got some insight?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Splintered Skul, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I love fuzz, and it's always been one of my favorite effects. Always been into psychedelic rock, stoner rock, and doom- from old to new. I'd like to get a pedal to play this type of music and there a ton of options out there. Most fuzzes I see are guitar pedals however. I'm looking for a fuzz that doesn't just wreck your original tone (clean blend maybe?); isn't too harsh, i like a bit of a smoother or creamier tone, one that doesn't peak and screech; one that can stand out in the mix; and one that's gain versatile- i can go from a little grit on top for light rock to heavy saturation for hard stoner :bassist:. Some fuzz pedals I've come across and seen suggested on Talkbass are:

Darkglass Duality
    Tech 21 BB Fuzz
    Amptweaker Tightfuzz
    Way Huge Swollen Pickle
    Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
    Black Arts Pharaoh
    Malekko Bassmaster
    Malekko Diabolik
    EHX Big Muff

Discussion and comparisons between these would be great, and feel free to make suggestions of others you feel might suit my needs. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe what I tend to like is somewhat a modern muff based tone.

2. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

Check out a demo of the You're Doom. I listened to one and found it to be quite smooth. Too smooth for me but might be up your alley.

3. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I have checked out You're Doom; cool fuzz, but too synthy sounding for me

4. volerium

volerium Supporting Member

Dwarfcraft eau claire thunder. Good fuzz with a couple unique features. Gets a lot of love on here as it should and aen is a stand up guy too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Team Awesome Fuzz Machine.

7. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Now that's a pretty cool pedal that I haven't seen before. Little pricey, but some gnarly sounds

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

IMO the Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian seems closest of the ones on your list. To me, "creamy" is the defining characteristic of the green big muffs. It's also sort of opposite of cutting through a mix, as "cut" is a matter of tight mids/upper mids, which can get into the spikier territory. The TFR doesn't slice through the mix, but it has massive low end, so you definitely are holding down the mix with boom unlike most other fuzz pedals on bass. And that's without a clean blend. It can also do a very nice low gain dirt/overdrive with the saturation backed all the way off, which is rare in the fuzzes I've tried.

The Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz is another one to check out for creamy muff fuzz. It has a few more parameter controls, like mids boost, focus (which cleans up the low end), and a pre-gain drive control. Those help it cut better while maintaining the muff character.

Fuzzes I've tried that tend to cut better in a full band mix are the Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine and the Fuzzrocious Grey Stache. They both have cutting power, and the TAFM is more versatile, but you sacrifice some of that creamy vibe.

9. cnltb

cnltb

Fairfield circuitry four eyes or unpleasant surprise maybe?
    Cogeffects Tarkin fuzz sounds very good too, judging by the clips :).

10. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I'm having trouble finding any demos of the Musket Fuzz on bass; sounds Great on guitar though. Would you recommend it over the Tall Font because of its extra options? Or is it just a slightly different flavor of fuzz? The mids boost would definitely be helpful. The Fuzzrocious was just way too distorted to my ears (at least from demos I heard). It just seemed like a wall of noise. The Team Awesome fuzz actually sounds like a great pedal, but I'm not sure its exactly my taste. It has more of that old school waveform sound.

11. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

The Four Eyes doesn't sound bad; really aggressive fuzz

12. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

One of Juan Alderete's fuzz wars videos features a Musket. There's one other YouTube video I believe.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've tried the BBM and Swollen Pickle, and while I liked them by themselves, I thought the fuzz pretty well disappeared in a mix. That kind of turned me off to Muff-style fuzzes. I ultimately settled on a Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, but if I hadn't gotten it, I'd have gone for the B-assmaster or Iron Ether Oxide. The Diabolik is looking pretty good to me as well.

14. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

If you go to YouTube and search fuzz wars, I believe episode II has the Musket. I will second a call for the TFR as it is the easiest to control while still being a beast when turned loose. The Big Pi and Tonebender models on the OFD are also very nice and tweak able. It is well worth a look.

15. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I love the tone of the TFR and now have a Musket instead exactly for those options. It's the perfect balance for me of the creamy bass fuzz with the live mix presence (again, due to mids and focus controls), and it can go from slight fuzz to full-blown muff fuzz madness without getting spitty or spikey. So yeah, I would recommend it, but I don't know what your band mix is like. I haven't found any clips online that sound like what I get through my rig. I like deeper, warmer, darker tone with no low end loss, and the Musket is the best fuzz for that taste that I've tried.

I would agree with all this. I have an early Grey Stache that doesn't sound anything like those demos, though. Not quite creamy, but it's darker than the newer ones and bangin in a live mix, probably because it's based on the Civil War style muff and so has more of a mid-focus (along with mid boost control).

16. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

17. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Found it: and sounds pretty darn good on bass too

18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I have 12 muff style fuzzes:

EHX Green Russian
    Earthbound Audio SuperCollider
    Blackout Effectors Musket
    Way Huge Swollen Pickle
    BlackArts Pharaoh
    Catalinbread Manx Loagthan
    ’78 IC big muff
    Mojohand Iron Bell
    Earhquaker Devices Hoof
    Cornish G2
    BJFE Fire Red Fuzz
    Bass Big Muff

.....and my favorite out those are the BJFE Fire Red Fuzz and the Cornish G2.

19. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Hmm.. The Musket is looking really enticing now. Deep, dark, and warm is actually pretty bang on for the sound I like out of my rig. I really like the sound of it and no end loss is perfect. And from the guitar demos I saw, it is pretty versatile.

20. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

But the prices on those! :( The fire red does sound great from what I can tell however. Have you experienced ow end loss with the Pharaoh? And where does the Blackout stand among them?

21. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I just ordered a [sfx] Micro Fuzz. Demos sound great (hear below); they seem to meet your "creamy" and "smooth" goals. I've been using Max's H1 headphone amp it's top quality gear. He gets good marks on other products.

http://www.sfxsound.com/microfuzz/