1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fuzzy sound from amp. or maybe output too high. need advice...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bagusys, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Bagusys

Bagusys

What I'm running
    Ampeg BA 600/210 clean
    Ampeg BE 115 Dirty/Right channel

So my Primary Bass (Washburn XB - 400 model WB 671 673 Active PU)
    I've been trying to get rid of this problem for a while now and it is getting annoying and I have shows booked in Jan

I am getting this almost fuzzy/distorted sound with the low string/notes of the bass, a little on the A string but mostly with the E
    Tuning dropped C

Changed battery, tried other cables, tried with or without my effects board, tired it through each pedal individually, nothing, nothing, NOTHING

whats happening - on both amps - I have plugged the bass straight into the amp and it still happens a little, using the wireless (Joyo) it's a little louder and fuzzes also.

Running through my massive effects board wired and wireless, same thing

I know my bass is a very powerful bass, Could this simply be the problem?

I've turned down the vol knob on the bass but to where it doesn't fuzz anymore is almost completely down

Happens in the direct out also in recordings

Any advice would help...

Could this be an Eq prob, should I try the Boss GEB - 7 or something???

Also it fuzzes with the Low knob on the bass turned down, also if I turn down the lows on the amps it become a completely dry signal and not worth it...

My ultimate goal obv would be a clean signal with the wireless
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Since it does it on both amps, the problem likely comes from the bass rather than the amps. Probably a faulty preamp chip, that's what it sounds like.
    It's not directly related to your issue but you'd get better results anyway by selling the BE115 and using a 2nd 2x10 or 1x15 cab.
  3. Bagusys

Bagusys

Do you think it could be the chip? The bass still sounds perfect its just the low ends. This has never happened b4. but I made some changes and now the bass is too much for amps.

The changes were

Used to play Med Gauge tuned to Standard/Dropped

Now I play heavy Gauge tuned down a whole step. plus added a D Tuner for whammy and a Kahler for Whammy.

tried doing the 18V mod to see how it sounded and there was absolutely no difference. That's what makes me think the bass is putting out too much

It's on the list lol. a 2nd 600/210 or 115 is gonna become my dirty channel and the BA115 will be strictly the right channel.
    OR if I go the route of getting a head and cab, THAT will become my clean and BA 600 dirty and 115 Right. gotta free up the money first. doing the best I can with what I got.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

What are you doing with the eq on the amps? If you're boosting the lows, try cutting them, and boosting the mids intead.
  5. Bagusys

Bagusys

No change I could turn the amp to min Vol Lows all the way down and Gain wayyy down. still shakes. its not the amps cuz it does it even on the DI box in my studio, PA System at drummers house we practice with basically everything I plug into. all the pedals are brand new except the Dl4, MM4 and Digi Whammy, but they're getting sent out for gutting and replacing. I guess Ill get my tech to look at the preamp in the bass. it is 8 yrs old and I will NEVER LET GO OF THIS BASS haha
  6. dmusic148

dmusic148

You can't make a decent preamp for what that whole bass sells for. I'd lose the pre and simply rig it up like a Jazz bass. Probably sound a hell of a lot better.
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I would place bets the preamp in your bass does not have the lowend response for your down-tuning.
  8. Bagusys

Bagusys

Advice?

That is sounding like exactly what could b wrong. is it replaceable? or should I upgrade the system. that Bortolini preamp system Washburn had on the higher end models of this bass has been looking like its worth a try
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How hard or soft do you play? How's your action? Do you get string rattle? A lot of times, you can mistake string rattle for distortion. Just something to think about.
  10. Bagusys

Bagusys

lol Again, Been at it for 15 yrs, I wouldn't post a whole thread if it was string rattle. That's why I went up a Gauge when I downtuned. Not a lot of String rattle but it's always there. especially dropped tune.
    Action is solid just had my tech give the whole thing a tuneup. it very low to the neck and I play very hard. I like getting every little flick, flutter, string swipe, nail scratch, thump any noise I can get, especially with the effects... amp compressor helps too
  11. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Youd be surprised how many guys come on here and ask a question like this only to have the problem be string rattle.. I can't help at all but my band plays in Drop A so I'm kind of interested to see how this all pans out. Good luck getting it figured out!
  12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You could upgrade the preamp or upgrade your existing preamp's opamp/transistors. If opamp you may have to add HF protection for a higher bandwidth IC.
  13. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Does your bass have a trim pot in the control cavity to control the output level? Have you tried lowering your pickups?
  14. Bagusys

Bagusys

I know it's been a while... bought the Korean and American Custom XB 900's, sent the XB 400 (this bass) off to a guy to see what he could do, he lowered the pickups and nothing really helped. Through some research, scratch that, ALOT of research found that a lot of people have had similar problems with the pickups/preamp system to this specific bass, the Korean XB 900 has a bortolini system and the American has SD Bassline MM pickups with Basslines preamp, both of the 900s sound AMAZING but the 400 is still my favorite bass (plus has all my customizations, Kahler and Hipshot Dtuner). through my research I found that most people change the preamp system to EMG or other of their choice, I WAS about to replace the preamp system for a new one of the exact same from washburn but after I finally found that information I am going to find a new preamp system. Thank you everyone for the advice... not related, but I am now running this thing through my massive effects board and Ampeg PF 350 - 1/15 head (clean) and PF - 500 - 4/10 (dirty)