1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FWIW: The 10 Best Sci-Fi Movies—As Chosen By Scientists

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Jan 1, 2014.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...vies-as-chosen-by-scientists?click=pp#slide-1
  2. BigOkie

BigOkie

Great post! I loved "Blade Runner" and most every other film on this list. I am totally addicted to sci-fi flicks.
  3. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I was gonna say i bet blade runner is there. Didnt even have to click the link. I love it though to be fair, Blade Runner is more a visual experience than anything else.

And no 2 The Matrix!?!?? To quote a classic sci-fi show.... GODDAM SCIENTISTS!

Also, Jurassic Park, sci-fi? Yes i get it, science brings back to life dinosaurs. But i never think of Jurassic Park as sci-fi...it's a monster thriller. The sc ience part is just so that there's an excuse to have dinosaurs with humans. I dunno, i'd have thought of something else to put in the top ten that's more clearly sci-fi. Like The Terminator.

Let me see, my top ten list, in no order...

Star Wars (really new hope, empire and ROTJ, counted as one...)
    Blade Runner
    The Terminator
    Alien
    The Thing
    Invasion of the body snatchers
    Robocop
    2001: A space odyssey
    The Road Warrior
    Twelve Monkeys

I think anyway.... i'll probably think of something else i should have put instead and hit myself over the head later but for now...
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I really like Carpenter's remake of The a Thing. Scary and...plausible.

Too much studying & not enough movie-going by the science crowd?
  5. matante

matante

The only good movie there is 2001. Everything else is cheesy or good in a campy kitschy way.
  6. megafiddle

megafiddle

Carpenter's "The Thing" was more of an original than a remake.

It more closely followed the short story by John W. Campbell, Jr, "Who Goes There?",
    right down to the character names.

The original though, is still a classic.

-
  7. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

Glad Brazil made that list:smug:
  8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I think it's possible to be both. IIRC, The Terminator, which you listed, has often been classified as a sci-fi thriller. The later films have generally been regarded as action films. And on that note, I've always been a huge Terminator fan, largely because I've always had an interest in dystopian stories, so I've always been really fascinated with the future war aspect of the franchise. Therefore, I was really happy when Salvation focused on the future war instead of rehashing the lone protector time travel plot. And I liked it if you can ignore the huge, gaping plot hole in that movie (Spoiler Alert: How the hell does Skynet know who John Connor or Kyle Reese are that early in the war?)

I'm also a big fan of the Matrix trilogy. However, while the science aspect behind it is pretty meh (i.e., humans aren't that efficient of batteries), I always thought they could have went much, much deeper with the philosophical and sociological implications of the series. But I suppose that is to be expected for a mainstream movie. Dark City was a bit deeper and darker movie that dealt with some of those themes.
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

K...You must be fun....

Also, cheesy or kitsch does not mean it's not good. I don't see what is cheesy or kitschy about Blade Runner anyway (well, the theater cut is by moment with the voiceover and the ending). I can see why lower budget movies like the thing or Terminator might seem kitsch, to imply they are not good or valid movies though is in my view ridiculous. They are both terrific thrillers (well The Thing is more horror but the very palpable paranoia and isolation of the protagonists very much puts it in the thriller category too)

Robocop for example is obviously meant to be kitsch, it still has something to say, it's a satire of corporate america. I think you confuse high brow with good. Or low brow with bad. Whichever. Though honestly i don't consider most of these to be low brow. They sit somewhere between the two. They're made by (fairly) intelligent people anyway (have my doubts about Lucas but whatever...anyone who can't call the SW originals fun i don't care to know)
  10. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I just don't think Jurassic Park is...sci-fi enough. I don't know. No future, no aliens, no technology.

As for the matrix, I thought the philosophical and sociological implications of the movies were paper thin personally and obviously hastily, clumsily developed by the Wachowskis once they realised what they had on their hands and how people had perceived their movie. I really don't think they had planned all fo this or that people would find philosophical meanings in the movie....they were stretching themselves, not clever enough to write the movies they tried to write... The first is the best and it's still just an ok film. In my opinion.

I do like Dark City better.

And i hated Salvation. I was glad they were going to the future finally, but they had a story about new characters we didn't give a s about (Well mainly the cyborg played by Sam Meathead Worthington) and they contradicted things established in earlier movies (the humans are only supposed to come out at night for one...according to the first film...yet most of the movie happens during the day). I wanted to see Connor in the beginning of the war, when they were actually on the brink "of going out forever" and he started training people and organizing them, as is mentioned in the first. I guess to be fair what happened in the other movies changed the future somewhat but i don't know...not at all the movie i was expecting to see anyway.
  11. Sonic_Death

Sonic_Death

While I am not surprised it wouldn't get recognition on a list like that, the 2004 movie Primer was very well done for such a low-budget movie. For a list chosen by scientists, Primer should be up their alley given how intellectual and science-driven it is.
  12. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Jurassic Park, like nearly all Crichton novels has science fiction so thick you can cut it with a knife.

In order to make any novel a movie the editing knife comes out. Sometimes this process dumbs things down. Jurassic Park would fit this IMO.
    Not possible = fiction.
    Not magic = science.
    Science and morality have played a delicate game throughout history.
    The whole idea of "just because you can doesn't mean you should." Very few movies sum this idea up nearly as simply as Jurassic Park.

I think its a good list albeit 2001,as important as it is, is a horrifically boring waste of time full of bad acting.
    Much prefer planet of the apes, at least that had entertainment factor.
  13. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

Primer was great!

Number 11 on the list, for me, would have been Contact. Rather liked that.
    Damn, now I wish it was Xmas all over again so I could re watch all of this in one long film fest.
  14. Rocker949

Rocker949

Overall, the scientists did a pretty good job on that. I have to agree for the most part.
  15. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

Star Wars a futuristic fantasy? I thought it took place long,long ago...
  16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Europa Report" has gotten a lot of praise from scientists, but it must be too recent to have been seen by enough people to make the top 10 list.
  17. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

My 2 cents about lists like these: I hate when you have to click to get to the next one. Just put them all on one page. Ugh.

Also, I think 2001 sucked. Sooooooo sloooooow.
  18. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Correct. Star Wars isn't even science fiction. It's a fantasy movie that happens to take place in space. This list is horsepoop.
  19. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday Supporting Member

20. Ironbar

Ironbar

One thing's for sure: This thread confirms my theory that all bassists (myself included) are a bunch of damn nerds.