1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&B 3-band preamp schematic?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maz, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Maz

Maz

Hey folks, I wonder if anyone out there is familiar with G&B company 3-band preamps. I have one that I bought used back in 2011 and ignored until recently. It came with no pots and no diagram. I should have asked right then but I figured I could find a schematic np later. Well, I can't, and the seller is no help. I have pretty good search-fu, but all I'm finding are the pot values it's supposed to use and some pictures which are confusing.

I've wired it up in several different configurations based on what I think I know, but I'm not getting any sound through it. Does anyone out there know how these things are wired, or better yet, have a diagram they could share? Thanks in advance if anyone can help, this thing is really grinding my gears.

I'm at work right now, but I can post a pic tonight if it helps.
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I have one of their catalogs around somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. It might have a diagram.

Their website is no longer up. I don't know why.

Incidentally, they are the same company that makes EMG Select pickups.
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have one that I pulled from an LTD bass guitar a few years ago. I'll look for it over the weekend and draw a diagram and/or post photos.

In my opinion, it's voiced better for skinny-string guitar than for bass guitar.
  4. Maz

Maz

That would be awesome, thanks man.

I hope I'm not just wasting my time with this thing. I figure it has to be better than the tonepump jr. I'm replacing with it. At least I can put some mids back into the sound. (I hope)
  5. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Quick and sloppy sketch:

[​IMG]
  6. Maz

Maz

Thanks! I've got it wired up and working now. It doesn't have a great range but it sounds better than the pre it's replacing so I'm happy. Thanks again =D
  7. Maz

Maz

Paired up with the EMGSSD bridge pup it sounds pretty good, considering what it is. This went into a Spector legend 4 classic. I just went and noodled around for a few minutes. I have a total sh*t soldering iron here but I have access to some pretty nice ones at work, so I'll wait till Monday to finish the job. The low end is kinda muddy if I crank the bass and the high end is too thin if I crank that, but if I just keep everything boosted a little bit I'm getting a good snarly midrange out of it, which was exactly what I couldn't get out of the tonepump jr. that was in there.
  8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'm pretty sure G&B makes one of the TonePumps. They show it in the catalog.
  9. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    No thanks needed...I make it a point to do one (and only one!) good deed a month. Glad you got it wired up and working.
  10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Do they also make the ESP OEM version of the EMG HZ pickups?