G&B 3-band preamp schematic?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maz, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Maz

Maz

Hey folks, I wonder if anyone out there is familiar with G&B company 3-band preamps. I have one that I bought used back in 2011 and ignored until recently. It came with no pots and no diagram. I should have asked right then but I figured I could find a schematic np later. Well, I can't, and the seller is no help. I have pretty good search-fu, but all I'm finding are the pot values it's supposed to use and some pictures which are confusing.

I've wired it up in several different configurations based on what I think I know, but I'm not getting any sound through it. Does anyone out there know how these things are wired, or better yet, have a diagram they could share? Thanks in advance if anyone can help, this thing is really grinding my gears.

I'm at work right now, but I can post a pic tonight if it helps.
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I have one of their catalogs around somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. It might have a diagram.

Their website is no longer up. I don't know why.

Incidentally, they are the same company that makes EMG Select pickups.
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have one that I pulled from an LTD bass guitar a few years ago. I'll look for it over the weekend and draw a diagram and/or post photos.

In my opinion, it's voiced better for skinny-string guitar than for bass guitar.
  4. Maz

Maz

That would be awesome, thanks man.

I hope I'm not just wasting my time with this thing. I figure it has to be better than the tonepump jr. I'm replacing with it. At least I can put some mids back into the sound. (I hope)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Quick and sloppy sketch:

[​IMG]
  7. Maz

Maz

Thanks! I've got it wired up and working now. It doesn't have a great range but it sounds better than the pre it's replacing so I'm happy. Thanks again =D
  8. Maz

Maz

Paired up with the EMGSSD bridge pup it sounds pretty good, considering what it is. This went into a Spector legend 4 classic. I just went and noodled around for a few minutes. I have a total sh*t soldering iron here but I have access to some pretty nice ones at work, so I'll wait till Monday to finish the job. The low end is kinda muddy if I crank the bass and the high end is too thin if I crank that, but if I just keep everything boosted a little bit I'm getting a good snarly midrange out of it, which was exactly what I couldn't get out of the tonepump jr. that was in there.
  9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'm pretty sure G&B makes one of the TonePumps. They show it in the catalog.
  10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    No thanks needed...I make it a point to do one (and only one!) good deed a month. Glad you got it wired up and working.
  11. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Do they also make the ESP OEM version of the EMG HZ pickups?