G-K MB150 or something else?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by wman2, Feb 18, 2014.

1. wman2

wman2

Hi guys

I'm in the market for a new amp; I've currently got a tiny Laney RB1 for practice and a Fender Rumble 150 for gigs. I play mainly jazz but a bit of other styles here and there too. I'll be using a Fender Jazz Bass and an Upright Bass with a Fishman Full Circle through it.

The problem is, my Rumble 150 is too big to take to some gigs physically (its power is fine because I don't play massive gigs, mainly small pubs & stages) and my band-leader is intimidated by its size too :( So I'd like a smallish, portable amp that packs a fair amount of power that I can also hook up via DI when necessary. I've found the Gallien-Krueger MB150 seems to have a lot of good reviews and it's been recommended to me by several friends but I was wondering if there's anything else you guys would recommend, just because the G-K is very expensive :meh:

Any advice very gratefully received - I'm just trying to get a good compromise between power and size.
  2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I've owned the MB150 several times and never cared for it. Yeah it's light and easy to move, but it sounds like exactly what it is, a tiny metal box.

Check out the Carvin MB15. It's like a Polytone Mini Brute on steroids.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

+1
    The tone is acceptable at best through it's internal speaker
    I just used it to drive a 2x12 and the amp is really good although only 100 watts
  4. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

150 watts at 4 ohm load. I've used my MB150E with a bunch of different ext. cabs, it all depends on size and volume needs. This head into an 810 will do crazy things. My favorite is the amp with a Fearless F112. Overall function of this amp is huge. Don't hesitate.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

He doesn't want to haul around an extension cab.
  7. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

The Gk 150 is a standard here on the nyc jazz scene. I think it's great doubling amp and use it myself. It fits through the turnstiles and makes the upright sound and be heard. I have been able to dial in good sounds through it. People seem to love it or hate it.

Also check out markbass 1x12 combo or separates.
    Best of luck
  8. Best sound I've heard from the 150 and extension was through a Berg 1x12. Berg isn't large but it does weigh a bit. And both might run around $1,500 or so. But - they sound really great together.
    I've played a MIA Jazz 4-stg through one and it was fine. Also tried my 94 Warwick active 5-stg and it did not sound fine.
  9. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

+1. I'm super happy with mine. Plenty of clean, clear volume used standalone for Classic Rock rehearsals (even with my 5 strings), but beefy enough for my lower volume Jazz/fretless/EUB stuff. It's light, easy to carry and seems really well built. I also have the extension cab when needed. But surprisingly I have not yet needed it....
  10. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member