G&L Asat or Sb2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdie num nums, Jan 30, 2014.

1. birdie num nums

birdie num nums Supporting Member

Hi everyone!

Three months ago I bought a '95 G&L L2000 in cherryburst with a #5 maple neck. I really love it. But last month I saw two more G&L's at our local music store. They were the 30th anniversary series. Pearl frost bodies with matching headstocks. An Asat(with a K mode) and an SB2. Asat was a little bit heavier but not more than 9.5 lbs. I guess... Sb2 was lighter and both have the same neck style(#8 I think) which has a very nice feel.
    I know that the Asat and L2000 share the same pickup combination but Alder-Ebony combo with MFD's is really charming. Should I get basically the same bass with a different body shape and wood combination or go another direction and get the Sb2 which is another beauty with all it's simplicity. The most versatile bass with just two volume knobs. I really really liked it too... Not crazy about the pearl frost but the feel of both basses are great and I can't decide so please help me...

2. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I have both, I'd go for the sb2.. The ASAT will just duplicate the L

3. birdie num nums

Thanks mr.mow, I'll keep that in mind. By the way, how do you use your Sb2. Both pups full or...? :)

4. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Both at about 70%, use the bridge pickup to add or subtract edge.
    But just the P at 100% is glorious as well, grindy, fat and open!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. birdie num nums

Yes. I tried it through a GK MB112 and with just the P 100% open it shook the store..

7. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Own both albeit the ASAT is a semi hollow fretless. Would say the SB-2 to cover new ground sonically. :ninja:

8. birdie num nums

You are possibly right. :)

9. birdie num nums

And with some combinations (can't remember the volume percentages) it can come close to a jazz bass territory too. Am I wrong?

10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Kinda, in the sense that you can def get some s/c buzz from the bridge pickup.

A different approach to EQing the SB-2, is to dime the bridge pickup, then "blend" in some split pup to taste. This is the opposite of how most SB-2 players do it, but it opens up a whole new palette of tones. It does raise the noise floor level, but that disappears when the music starts.

Also, the ASAT is not ergonomically right for everyone. Balance and "reach" are very different from the 2000. Good luck and have fun!

11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Among 4 strings, the SB-2 is my favorite. Mine is my #2 bass, after my EBMM Sterling 5.

I spent $15 or so on parts and added a Master Volume and Tone. Now, I can run the P volume around 75%, the J at 0, and vary the Tone to get ANY traditional P bass sound. Diming the P gives a bigger, ballsier P sound, and rolling in some J gives it an edge that sounds great, too.

The J all by itself sounds thin and weak. But, roll in just 10% P (or so) and all of a sudden it's a great J bridge sound.

I also have an L-2500, with K mod. I like the SB-2 better. If I were playing a 4 string, I would definitely pick it over any other G&L 4 string.

12. birdie num nums

Templar, StuartV and all folks, thanks a lot! There she is!

Attached Files:

13. birdie num nums

With L2000...

Attached Files:

14. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

An ASAT was my first G&L. Loved the sound, the MFD's and the neck. Disliked the balance/neck dive immensely. Odd, because I have other basses with a bit a dive as well, that don't seem to bother me. I sold the ASAT and found an L2000 body with an SB2 neck. My guess is since the ASAT and the L2000 sound alike, you will find yourself always going for the L2000 for comfort reasons. Get the SB2 says I……...

15. birdie num nums

I made my decision. Look at my recent post! ;)
    But thanks anyway. I knew I was right. :hyper:

By the way, despite not liking p/j basses, the Sb-2 is completely another story. And yes, with different volume adjustments you can get decent jazz tones besides that huuuge split coil sound.

Fingerstyle, slap, pop, pick... You name it. It's all there....

16. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

It looks awesome! Like the twin from another universe to mine (which is black on black with matching headstock, and a maple board).

Congrats!