1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&L El Toro

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by goofydad, Feb 25, 2009.

1. goofydad

goofydad

I recently acquired a G&L El Toro - could someone out there give me an insight on what the the 3 switches do? The knobs seem to be master volume, treble and bass but feel free to correct me if I am wrong :) Also, the SN is B021986 but I can't seem to find a year of manufacture.

TIA,

Goofydad
  2. spideyjg

spideyjg Supporting Member

That is gonna cost a picture for all three switches but a full detail of color and fretboard will get you one switch. :smug:

I love my El Toros.

Jim
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    IIRC:
    Knobs: vol/treble cut/bass cut
    pickup selector: neck/both/bridge
    coil tap selector, sorta: both pickups tied together in series(defeats pickup selector/indivually selectable single coil mode
    preamp selector: off/on

now, where's yer dang picture?

;)
  4. goofydad

goofydad

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses - sorry this is late in getting back to you.

I was given (yeah, given) this bass by a dear friend who was the worship pastor for a church band I used to be in. I was blowing through a Roland DB-700 w\ single 15" and a piezo at the time and used it for a few weeks, then went back to my Carvin LB-70P. Since then I switched to a BBE preamp into a Carvin DCM-2000 into PJB 6T + 9B and always had it in the back of my mind to try the El Toro through it. I recall the slap sound was really great. The Carvin has pretty good finger tone but the slap sound is lacking so I'm really looking forward. I play nightclubs 2 or 3 weekends a month in a variety type format. I'm getting used to playing the shorter neck - it's a real different feel.

I managed to screw up the pic trying to get it down to the size required, so I will have to try again tomorrw - sorry :-(

Again, thanks for the info.

Goofydad (the kids wanted me to be Idiotdad but I put my foot down)
  5. Chef

Disclosures:
    get a photobucket account (free!) and post the img link.
    photobucket resizes for you.

the toro has uber-slap-tone...in fact, you may still roll the treble shut just a lil bit.
  6. goofydad

goofydad

Thanks - I'll check photobucket out.

I remember the bass being a little hissy when the treble was all the way open - it wasn't noticible when playing but between songs it was right there. Is there anything that can be done about that?
  7. Chef

Disclosures:
    yessir.
    roll it shut to about 90%...;)

don't mess with the bull!
  8. goofydad

goofydad

LOLOLOLOL

That reminds me of an old vaudeville line:

Guy at the doctors - makes a rotating motion with his hand

Guy: "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this"

Doc: "Then don't do that"

I'll keep it at 90 :)
  9. Chef

Disclosures:
    Yessir, it's just like that.
    You really don't want to change it tho, trust me.

It's gonna put a whippin' on a live mix.