1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L El Toro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Nov 10, 2000.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy Gold Supporting Member

Has anybody heard/played one. I just bought one at ayard sale for $60. It plays beautifully and has great smooth tone.

2. brianrost

brianrost

Can't go wrong for $60!!

It was G&L's answer to the Jazz Bass. The El Toro was kind of like an L-2000 with J style pickups rather than big humbuckers.

Made only for a few years and pretty rare, I've never even seen one in the flesh.

3. JohnL

JohnL

Great deal on the G & L, unless, of course, it is the not-as-famous company of Goober & Lipschitz. I don't think their stuff was as good.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

I've gotta start tagging along with my wife, to those yard sales...:)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. snakopolis

snakopolis

These basses kick major a$$ (depending on the year, I think they switched body materials somewhere along the line). I've been a pro/semipro player for more than 20 years and I'd put my el toro up against any jazz bass out there. The mahaganoy body gives almost infinite sustain and combined with Leo Fenders improved electronic set, the low end is clear and yet still nice and booming. :bassist:

This is the only bass I own anymore as I never touched any of the others that I had. The only other bass needed to be complete for me would be a nice old fretless P.

7. lbanks

lbanks

$60!!!??
    Excuse me while I pass out...
    <Bamm!>
    Good Score!

8. Mon Rominee

Mon Rominee Banned

I had one a few (10-ish) years ago. Red, maple board. Really nice sounding. Traded it for an L-2000 a year later. Now I have neither. You got a good score at 60 bucks...holy crap! I thought I had a steal deal at 100 for mine... :bassist:

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

If you have any religion at all, you need to fall on your knees and thank God for what is basically a free bass. I'm only half joking. Assuming it is working condition and not beat to death, that would have been a steal for $200 or $250. Heck, you can't get a raggedy Squire or Rogue for $60!

G&L is some serious quality. Get it set up and get to playing man!

10. tplyons

tplyons

How about some pics!

11. toddtodd

toddtodd

+1

12. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

Man, that really sounds like you got taken to the cleaners. G & Who? Look, I don't do this often, but I feel pretty bad for you. Why don't you let me buy that bass from you so you can keep that $60 in your pocket? I'll even throw in shipping so you can tell the wife you got it all back. I hate it when people get taken advantage of. PM if you're interested.

Mike

13. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

I'm soooo freakin' sick now....

Nice find!!