1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L finish repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AcridSaint, Feb 2, 2013.

1. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't play well.
    Hi Folks,

I just received a beautiful L2K from here and promptly dinged the finish. It chipped out and went completely milk-white. I took some 400 grit to it today and got a lot of the white out, but I feel like wherever the edges of the chip are just keep expanding white.

Is there a trick to getting the edges clear? Have I just not sanded enough? I'm trying to take off as little finish as possible.

Also, I've read that this is a poly finish, what is the best option for repairing it? CA? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure CA would kill the white, and start to fill in the hollow. I've repaired something similar in that way, but not exactly the same.

You might want to look for confirmation from someone who's done it a few times before.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

This video will tell you exactly what to do. Its great information, especially the strip sanding trick.

4. AcridSaint

Disclosures:
    I don't play well.
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

I've read the StewMac article, but didn't know they had a video also. Very good. I have quite a bit of finish sanding experience, just outside of the realm of guitar repair.

I am worried about filling the chip before the white is gone, as I don't want a cloud underneath. With nitro, I think I'd be able to count on the finish blending, just not sure about the poly.

In his video, he's using color fill, which I won't be as just the clear is missing, so I'm still not sure if I need to get all of the clouding sanded out.

Any and all replies appreciated :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

The white you are seeing is just the jagged edges of the chipped finish. They should go away when filled, with CA

7. AcridSaint

Disclosures:
    I don't play well.
    OK, I think I'll give it a try when I get back home this weekend. Thanks for the replies!

8. AcridSaint

Disclosures:
    I don't play well.
    Hi folks - I got my CA order in today and ran a couple coats of thin into the "wound". The white does not seem to be disappearing with the CA, just dulled a very small bit to greyish. Any further suggestions before I continue?

9. Hopkins

You may just need to sand it with 400 grit until the white goes away. It shouldnt be to bad