G&L Fretboard question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Feb 6, 2014.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

I am looking into getting a US made G&L L2000 with an ebony fretboard. Most of the real life pictures I've seen of G&Ls with an ebony fretboard have no fret markers on them at 1, 3, 5, etc.

Is this standard on the ebony fretboards from G&L? The one's I saw may be some special edition (bad ass bass player?), so I'm not sure. You can google G&L L2000 Blackburst to see what I mean. There was a pic posted on these forums of an L2000 in blackburst and ebony fretboard, but it had no fretboard markers.

As a newb, I need those markers. I e-mailed G&L and never received a response.

2. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

They probably have side dots, just nothing on the board itself. That's fairly common.

3. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

They definitely have side dots. Removing the face dots is a custom option.

OP have you ever played a bass with no face dots? I actually find that I do not need face dots as I am always looking at the side dots when I look at the neck while playing. Plus an a bare ebony board has a classy look, but then again I am a visual minimalist.

4. MarshallNole

I;ve never played one with no face dots. As long as it has dots SOMEWHERE then I am good... I just am not familiar enough with the fretboard yet to not have the dots.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

You will be lucky to get an answer from G&L. Contact a dealer and ask them. They will either know or be able to get an answer.

I have a 1981 L1K with an ebony board. It has the dots and side fret markers.

[​IMG]

7. KablesP

KablesP

I think that is a custom option because most of the ones I have seen have the fret markers, as does the one I own.

If you are going used, check out the Guitar Center used section. I found my 92 L2K on sale for 650!

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Pardon me while I clean up the drool form my desk. Stunning ole girl there friend :)

9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If you order a new one, you can get it either way (assuming you can order ebony at all, now - which you may not be able to. At one point, they were only offering ebony for fretless basses). If you buy a used one, it may or may not have them. It just depends on the individual bass.

10. pfox14

pfox14

That must be a new thing because I've never seen a G&L bass without FB dots.

11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I've had both of these for a while...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Being able to order a G&L with no fret markers is nothing new.

12. MarshallNole

I really hope ebony fretboards are still an option....REALLY hope so.

13. msact

14. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Gold Supporting Member

I am picking up my new MJ 4 today. I ordered with the ebony fret board. I will post pictures later today

15. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

16. MarshallNole

I think he was saying it is a $200 charge for them to put an ebony fretboard on.

17. MarshallNole

Did you order straight from G&L? How long did it take to come in?

18. msact

Bingo. That's my understanding. I am pretty sure you would have to ask for them to not put on the dots.

19. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

The $200 charge is for an ebony board.

20. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    My custom L-2500 was ebony with no face dots, but the no face dots was a no-cost option. You had to specify if you didn't want them, otherwise you got them. Personally, I love how Ebony looks - much moreso than Rosewood. I also rarely look down at the neck, let alone at the front of the fretboard (even if I did, sometimes it wouldn't do me very good as our stage can be dark enough that you can't see your hand if it's touching your nose), so not having them was not an issue what so ever.

21. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

While jamming with a guitarist friend last week, I noticed how much I like that he has dots on the fretboard -- sometimes I'm watching to see what he's doing. If ever playing with other people, it may be that having fretboard dots is handy.