G&L L-1000 vs P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basss, Feb 16, 2014.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

I've been curious about the L1000 for a while now. They are often described as 'P like'. I've owned a bunch of P's. Would I be getting anything significantly different with the L1k? Can someone who has owned both describe the differences?
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

aside from body shape and neck specs, the main difference is tone. I have/had two precisions to compare to my '81 L1K and the tone is not even in the same ballpark, to my ear. the closest the L1K got to sounding like a precision is after i snipped the cap out that put it in single-coil w/bass boost mode. after the cap was removed, it turned that setting into a standard series mode. while the difference was fairly subtle, it did get it closer to p-bass territory. with that said, they are different animals and should be played side-by-side (if possible) to decide if either is right for you.
  3. cavedweller

cavedweller

I have a pbass and L1000. The pickups in the L1000 are much hotter and more aggressive than the p and it has the 3 way toggle so you have more tonal possibilities, I like em both but if i had to pick one, it would be the G&L.
  4. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I have both and for me it's the L1K hands down. Much more powerful sounding. Also it has an ebony fretboard to die for.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

thanks. as pointed out, the controls are different as well. the p has the standard volume and tone while the L1K has a volume, bass cut, treble cut and 3-way mini switch for humbucking(parallel), single-coil and single-coil w/bass boost. on the L1K, with everything on full the bass is "flat". the MFD pickups have a lot of output and this cut only passive EQ is very useful. even a slight lowering of the volume helps to tame the aggression a bit.
  7. cavedweller

cavedweller

The only drawback on the L1000 is the weight, mine is heavy. Despite that it is a great playing bass.
  8. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

When I play my L2000 I only use the neck pickup in series with full bass on and treble cut to wherever I need it. Love the tone but mostly play my SB2 on the P pickup. Do have a P when I need it.