1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&L L-2000 vs. G&L M-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Hey there, all you G&L aficionados...

Though I've never been very attracted to G&L bass guitars before, lately I've been warming up to the idea of getting one. Have been taking a close look at the two four-string models - the L-2000 and the M-2000.

Only difference I can see thus far is that the L-2000 has a two-band onboard preamp and exposed-pole pickups, while the M-2000 has a three-band onboard preamp and covered-pole pickups. There must be more differences than that. :ninja:

G&L players, what am I missing? How do these two models compare & contrast? What are the main distinctions? Which one do you select for which applications - and why?

OK, shoot! I'm all ears (and eyes)... :smug:

MM
  2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

L2k has parallel and series switch, their preamp is cut only. I think those are the biggest difference between them.
  3. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

There's a review of the M over at the basses by leo forum.

Two totally different animals sonically, goes much deeper than just the EQ. M pickups are wound differently, 18 V guts. different neck profile, and a few other things. You have to play them side by side to find which is right for you and your musical situation. You can get great advice from TB, but your ears don't lie...
  4. Mystic Michael

Thanks for the input, Took...

I read your review, and I did glean a few helpful things. Given the fact that you were writing as an experienced G&L player to other experienced G&L players, however, I'm sure there are all kinds of references and matters of shared knowledge that simply went over my head.

Perhaps it would be more helpful if I went at it from this direction: I already have several five-string basses that do the "refined & modern" thing. In fact, that's my core tone. That's my sound. :cool:

This is different: I'm shopping around for perhaps a couple new four-strings - strictly for playing rock - that are ballsy, aggressive & growly. In amp terms, think of the distinction between the classic Gallien Krueger sound & the Euphonic Audio sound, apply that to bass guitars, and you should be in the ball park. :smug:

Makes/models currently in contention:

* Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass (P/J noiseless pickups)
    * MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
    * G&L L-2000 or M-2000

All instruments with ash bodies, maple bolt-on necks, maple fretboards, and active or active/passive electronics.

I gather that the M-2000 has a more modern, refined, sophisticated sound in comparison to the L-2000 - which is "brassier" & brighter, arguably harsher in comparison to the M-2000. Is that about right thus far?

Looks like I may just need to speak with someone from G&L... :meh:

MM
  5. willsellout

willsellout

I've played both and I didn't find them to be "two different animals". They were quite similar. I didn't think I would like the M2000 but I did. The 3 band EQ was useful and the bass, at least the one I played, didn't have the classic G&L noisy preamp. The L2K had more high end and aggressiveness on tap, but the M2K was no slouch and was capable of copping similar tones.

Based on your description of what you want, you should be looking at the M2K, not the L2K.

This coming from previous owner of just about every G&L made and current G&L L1505 player ;)
  6. Mystic Michael

Thanks, Will. Duly considered... :meh:

MM
  7. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

I live in tucson and drove all the way to San Diego (the Bass Store), great folks, and fantastic selection, to try out exactly what your dilemna is, L2000 vs M2000.

Played the M2000 first, three band preamp, (has mid control and pickup pan in addition to bass and treble). In my mind it would be a great bass for rock as it is very mid present (yes, you can cut them) and would sit well in a mix. For my band (Western, and relatively low volume) it would not work so I passed it up, just a little too thick for me

Next, the L2000. Wow, both pickups on it had a great bottom end, and while I don't like to boost treble super dramatically, it was all there. Had no use for the other two switches. Would have liked a balance pan knob, but oh well. I liked the neck profile as well, especially towards the nut

Final thought: I would buy an American L2000 if I could find one in my colors that sit well in a very traditional Western unit (black, or dark burst)

Then before I left I played a Sadowsky Metro 4 with single coil pickups, and it blew all others out of the park. Sounded even better by a bit than my now 15 year old Sadowsky Standard Jazz 4.

Note to self: save for a USA L2000 and save up for single coils on the Sadowsky when they are back in stock
  8. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

L-2000 is what you want.
  9. Mystic Michael

I'm starting to come to that conclusion myself... :meh:

I've already read a couple other G&L threads here on TalkBass, plus a few L-2x00 reviews @ BGRA (all the reviews there are old, so there's nothing yet on the M-2x00 series).

If I were looking for a more modern, refined, smoother take on the G&L sound, I do believe the M-2000 would be the one. But I'm not. I want a bass that's downright rude. I want one with a nasty attitude. I want one that kicks ass! :bassist: :smug:

MM
  10. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

11. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

the m2000 is still a very aggressive sounding bass. don't rule it out by any means. personally I prefer a volume, blend and traditional eq. the l2k preamp isn't difficult to use, but I personally found it a little tough to not fiddle with the switches live. "oh, this song would sound better with the pickups in series!"
  12. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

I don't know much bout the m but the l is ballsy but doesnt have to be I run it with the volume dialed back and it is warm and mellow that way
  13. willsellout

willsellout

The M2000 isn't a smoother more refined G&L. It's the same sound, only with a 3 band EQ.
  14. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Hi:

If you read all the reviews (and many thanks to those that took the time) one thing leaps out: Mid control and mids are different in the M2000 vs the L2000. That was what turned me off a bit, when I cut the mids the bass lost something, but boosted it was too present. The L2000 just sounded better with both pickups on, preamp on, series, and a tad of treble boosted. I missed the pickup pan knob, guess you could live with that by fiddling with height

I need to hear my G string up the neck to have out front octave pops, maybe a more aggressive bass is what I need, but you can tame the L2000, whereas I never could get the M2000 to feel right
  15. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Do both have the same chunky neck profiles?
  16. Mystic Michael

Many thanks for all the remarks & reviews, folks. Much appreciated.

Change of plans: Upon further reflection, I've decided to shelve the idea of getting another Precision Bass anytime soon - I just don't need one. In fact, I've decided to scrap plans to buy any more four-strings at all - for the foreseeable future.

Current plan is to pick up a couple of new five-strings - again strictly for playing rock - sometime during the next few months. It's almost certain to be an EBMM Stingray 5 HH...and either a USA L-2500 or a USA M-2500. :meh:

My online research reveals a rough consensus that the Stingray sound and the L-2500 sound are voiced very differently. That's very good news to me, as I respect both models, and it would be a shame to have to choose only one. :smug:

Moreover, I reckon that either one of them would provide an excellent complement to the sound of my neck-through Carvin LB75, which is almost certainly much smoother than either the growly, aggressive Ray or the growly, aggressive L-2500. With all three, I'm bound to have the modern rock sound covered from every conceivable angle.

I don't know whether this changes the calculations for any of you who have commented thus far. But based on any experiences you may have had, I'd be interested to know whether you think the L-2500 or the M-2500 would fit into the mix better.

Comments from additional TalkBass members always welcome as well...

MM
  17. Mystic Michael

I gather that the current versions of each model are identical in neck dimensions.

MM
  18. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Get the M2500. But that's just me. I MUCH prefer the electronics on the M series. I very much like the pickup pan knob as opposed to the 3-way pickup switch. The EQ is very usable on the M series. To me the L series basses are like a high school electronics experiment with all the switches and cut only tone options.

But to each their own. Many love the series/parallel options. It's all good but the M just plays and works so well. Set and forget.
  19. Mystic Michael

Yeah, I'm not really crazy about "cut only" tone circuits. The very idea just seems so "first-generation, old-school"...which I suppose it actually is, since the L-series is a good 30 years old now... :meh:

MM
  20. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

micheal. don't rule out the EBMM Sterling 5. it's the most underrated EBMM bass out there.