1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L L-2000... Why a huge difference in price between them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

I played one of these in GC a few days ago and am considering picking one up. However, when browsing eBay, I notice a HUGE difference in price between these. Some people are selling them for $650 new and others go for $1400 new.

At least with Fender, they use "American" or "Special" in the name to tell what model is what.

Can someone explain to me how to differentiate between them? Thanks!

2. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

G&L makes both USA and import or "Tribute" models.

3. Knavery

Ah... So they're both considered an L-2000, but the non-USA version is called a Tribute?

4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Knavery

Ah yes. Thank you. It looks like you can also tell by the front of the headstock as well.

I'm assuming these do very well with slap bass.

7. KablesP

KablesP

Check GCs used section. I got a near mint 1992 L2000 for 650. After shipping and tax it came out to 715. Used American made L2Ks can be had for great deals.

And yes, these get some great slap tones. Very versatile basses. But the older ones do not have the cavity shielded and the series mode is noisy. Not loud enough to hear while playing with a band but its very noticeable playing alone.

8. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Older than dirt ;)
    I've owned a few USA L2Ks and never had any noise issues in series or other modes. You can get good deals on used USA models. Find an early '80s L2000 if you can - they are the best!

9. KablesP

KablesP

Now that I think about it, where I rehearse I almost always have noise no matter what amp/bass combo I am using. I think its the outlet or the wiring in the house. :rollno:

When I use it with my computer or at my house I don't really notice it. I will say, though that series is not silent like parallel.