1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L L-2500 bridge mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, Apr 7, 2014.

1. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

The original version of this is here:

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/l2500_bridge_mod.html

I made this modification to my L-2500 over the weekend and wanted to pass along a few things I learned.

1) I used 2" long 6-32 machine screws and did not have to trim them at all. The original link (above) says he ended up with screws that were 1 9/16". I figured that meant I could use 1 1/2", as that would only be 1/16" shorter. Well, 1 1/2" screws didn't even touch the back of the 1/4" threaded spacers. I bought 2" thinking they would be overkill and I'd just trim to length. But, as I said, there turned out to be no need.

2) It took me a long time to get this mod done because I first spent a bunch of time trying to find threaded spacers that were already slotted for a screwdriver, and couldn't. So I procrastinated even longer because I was without an air compressor to run my air cutoff tool, and I didn't have a Dremel tool. I finally ordered the threaded spacers from McMaster-Carr and bought a Dremel and slotted the spacers. I thought I would need the "Thin" cutting wheels, but they made slots that were too thin. I used the regular Dremel cutting wheel and the slots are the perfect size for a medium-sized slotted screwdriver.

3) When I finally assembled it all, it turns out I don't think I needed to slot the spacers at all. I put each one in and held it with my fingertip as I screwed the screw in. Once it started to get tight, the spacer got enough friction from its seat that I was able to tighten the screw firmly without having to hold the spacer with a slotted screwdriver.

All just FYI.

Also, FWIW, I recently took the bridge off my G&L SB-2 (a 4-string bass) and put it back on and I noted to myself that it actually uses something like 6 screws to hold it on. It has the same style of bridge as the L-2500, but it does not allow for thru-body stringing, and it has screws through the bridge into the body in all the same spots where I just put machine screws through the L-2500 bridge.

I just thought it was kinda funny that G&L would think it necessary to use so many screws to hold a 4-string bridge on and then only use 2 on a bridge that does allow top-loading on a 5-string. I wonder if some designer actually planned that users would do this mod if they intended to top load their strings.

Oh, and I got it restrung and set the intonation - it was way off with TI flats from where it had been setup with Dunlop rounds. But, I have not actually played it yet, so I cannot coment on whether this mod makes any difference to tone or sustain.

And here are some pics of the final product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fleebag

Fleebag Hang on Baby Jesus, this is gon' get bumpy! Supporting Member

I did this recently as well on a 2004 tribute l2500 I picked up cheap. On mine the 2" screws were too long, they poked out the back, the 1 1/2" screws just barely touched the spacer, but I made them work by beveling the spacers with a file to make them sit deeper and got them to screw down fine without slotting them. Is yours USA model?

3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Yes, mine is a U.S.. I believe it was made right around 1998. Just shortly after they changed from the 3-bolt to the 6-bolt neck. And I guess, now that I think about it, the body on mine must be right at 2" thick. No wonder it weighs 10.5#!