G&L L1000 vs L1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noeinstein, Jun 14, 2011.

1. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

If this has already been discussed to death somewhere, please point me in the right direction. I've searched, though, and can't find it.

What is the difference between a G&L L1000 and L1500?
    Is the 1500 the new and improved 1000? Or are they different animals all together? I like the 1000, but the 1500 seems easier to find and people have very high opinions about the 1000's they are selling.

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

L1000, passive with the MFD located in the sweetspot. Clean and articulate, smack you upside the head with the OMG switch position engaged. Single coil, humbucker and single coil with bass boost (OMG).

L1500, active, passive switchable, MFD located in the bridge position. Aggressive, loud and ballsy. No single coil option only series or parallel.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

Media:
    I thought the L-1000's P/U position was the same as the neck position on the L-2000? That's what G&L calls the 'sweet spot' ?

I thought the L-1500's P/U position was slightly forward of where the bridge P/U is on the L-2000, more in line with the position of the P/U on a StingRay?

4. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

This is correct.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ghostdog93

ghostdog93

[​IMG]

Found this pic in a thread about the L-1000 here on TB.

I've never seen one in person, but my guess is that the pickup is more in the forward position than in the sweet spot.

Cool lookin' bass, though.

7. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

I think that the Pickup is exactly where the pickup is on the Precision. In fact I believe Leo Fenders motivation in designing the bass came from his feeling a need to fill a void between the Precision and the Stingray.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

The l1000 pickup position redefines "sweet spot" and it is in the bridge position of the l2000. The l1500 pickup is somewhere between the pickups on a l2000. About where the stingray bucker goes. L1000 ftw! :bassist:

9. SJan3

SJan3

Having owned both, I'd have to say that the L-1000 is VERY P Bass like while the L-1500 is very mid-rangy, almost too much. Although the pickup is in the Stingray location it sounded nothing like a Ray to me. I could not find a tone I really liked out of the L-1500 but the L-1000 could hang with any P Bass and then some..

10. SJan3

SJan3

You mean neck position.:hyper:

11. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

No contest - L-1000 is the way to go.

12. metron

Right. :oops: :D i play one frequently. Really i do. :)

13. dukeplaysbass

Did you get Blackie back from me, or did it go to somebody else?

14. metron

Aw man you sold it off?! Thought i had dibs :bawl: eh it was a bit heavy anyway. :D

15. dukeplaysbass

Yeah, not long after you sold it to me. Had a major life tragedy right about then, my beloved Julie passed away. I'm pretty sure I sold it (and a couple of other axes) to jump start for her memorial fund. Thought it went back to you....guess not. At least it went for a very good cause. Click the link in my sig if you want the details.

Sorry for the hi-jack. L-1000 still wins.

16. noeinstein

Yeah, been trying to talk myself into a 1500, but it's no use. L1k all the way. Looking to buy one on TB now. Maybe then I'll be satisfied.... What's The Owl Farm?

17. noeinstein

Sorry to hear about Julie.

18. cavedweller

cavedweller

I have a L1000 and a pbass,i love them both but if i had to pick one it would easily be the L1000. I'vealways heard it was designed to fill void between pbass and stingray also. It is heavy but is the best playing\sounding bass i have owned.

19. metron

Oh man I am sorry to hear that.

20. dukeplaysbass

Thanks, guys. She was amazing....

Noinstein, the Owl Farm is my place here in LA. It's where I do my "catch and release" of cool basses. Metron and more than a few other cats here and at BABP have received stuff that's passed through here....

21. noeinstein

Thanks Duke. Keep your eyes peeled for a nice L1000. I love the "catch and release" idea. We'll say a prayer for Julie.