1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L L1505 or L2500 owners..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr.mow, Dec 14, 2013.

1. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Need a 5, never played one.. Love the aesthetic simplicity of the L1505, am I going to miss the other pickup of the L2500?

I also own a 4 string ASAT so am familiar with the tone, but have noticed the pickup of the L1505 is not in the same position as the rear pickup of the two pickup L series basses.

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I had a L1505 for a while. Great bass, but I think I would get the L2500 if I had to do it again.

3. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Thanks, am noticing a complete lack of L150X basses for sale any where, wondering if that reflects their popularity

4. NightCat

NightCat

Isn't the L1505 geared towards the slappers and poppers? I mean, I play fingerstyle and I use the front pick-up for is a thumb rest a lot. I'd really have to change my technique if I didn't have that front pickup, or the back pickup for that matter. I'm sure the single humbucker with all the onboard electronics, would give a great range of tones but I would have to install a thumb rest. I do like the clean lines of the L1505 though.
    I don't own either but I do own the SB-2, P/J model.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I haven't tried an L-1505, but I'd like to. My understanding is that the pickup on those is not in exactly the same spot as either pickup on the 2500. So, you might consider which one to get based on the sound.

That said, the 2500 (particularly, one with the Single Coil, aka "K", option) is, in my opinion, the most tonally diverse bass you can buy. They sound great and play great and if you don't already have a preference between the two based on the sound, then I'd go with the 2500.

And there is at least one really nice L-2500 in the Classifieds right now... ;)

7. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I've had both. And I still have the L2500! I think it is worth the extra $$$...

L1505 is a good MusicMan substitute. But the L2500 is a significantly better instrument.

Along the lines of the L1505 you might want to look into a Warwick Corvette FNA (or JazzMan). I liked it better than the L1505. And then there is always the Stingray...

8. Inconnu

Inconnu

I own a L-2500... never looked back. Never even considered the L-1505...

9. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz Supporting Member

I've owned both. There is not much the 1505 will do for you that you can't approximate on the 2500.

True, the pickup location on the L-1505 is at a slightly different location. Another G&L player described it to me this way: "The bridge pickup on the L-2500 gives a _little_ more 'zing' and the neck pickup gives a _lot_ more "boom" than the L-1505". I'd say that is accurate.

Having said that, the 1505 does have a certain "snarl" to it that you might like. If you can, try them both.

10. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I owned a L-2500 and liked it very much. I actually wanted a deeper tone from it. I used the neck pickup only or both on at 50% each. I quickly sold the L-2500 (with a small loss of $) and bought a L-1505 with that I had modded with a second MFD pickup near the neck. My pickup spacing gave a huge (but clear sounding) improvement in low end. I use either neck only or both at 50% each - with that Gibson style switch. This worked out so well that I've done it to 2 L-1505's.

11. vxjoe

vxjoe

2 pickups win, L-2500 it is so versatile. Moving from a 4 string American Deluxe Jazz. I decided on the L over the M series for the diversity of tone SWITCHING options. Knowing I wanted to add an EQ. I added the K mod, single outside coils, the series OMG mod, and a Bassmods 3 band EQ with vol, concentric bass/treble, mid/passive tone.

I get active/passive jazz, P, Stingray, M-2500, Ibanez tones and I love the hot pickups and the neck. I get very close to the 70's Jazz growl by switching the OMG mod OUT of the circuit and switching to the bridge p-up.

12. bbjonz

bbjonz Supporting Member

I've owned 2 of each and prefer the 1505 for both its simplicity and sound. As others have noted, the pickup placement seems to make a nice tonal difference--nice growl in passive mode, not unlike a Jazz in the bridge position. Not a fan of the SR sound so didn't use that option all that much.

13. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Thanks guys, in the end I went with an L1505 based purely on the simplicity and I already have an ASAT so figured I'd go completely different for my first 5!

All ordered.. Sonic blue, light tint maple neck/board.. minimal and clean!