1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L L2000 electronics: possible to swap in a blend for the pickup switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by takeout, Dec 13, 2013.

1. takeout

takeout

Is this a fool's errand? I know real estate in those control cavities is already in short supply, but maybe some sort of mini blend pot?

(Yes, I know the M series has a blend. I want the L-series preamp and coil switching, but with blend.)

2. line6man

line6man

3. takeout

takeout

There are a sprinkling of threads in here (P&E forum) asking the same, but no one's ever reported back...

4. line6man

line6man

You can add a blend pot to almost any two-pickup bass, even if there is a dual-input preamp, or weird coil splitting options, etc. (Though sometimes reconfiguring the wiring of switches is necessary.) Off hand, I believe that the G&L basses are very standard, in terms of wiring. You will be replacing a pickup selector switch with a blend pot. If there were any coil splitting or series options on the pickup selector switch, you will have to add switches to give you those options. If there are dedicated coil splitting or tapping switches, their wiring will not change. If there is a dedicated series/parallel switch, then its wiring will need to change, but if it is a standard DPDT mini toggle or push pull, the same switch can be used.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I've never used a passive blend control that worked well for me, but it would be easy to put in to an L2000 if you were willing to shuffle around the existing pots and make one of them a stacked control (you won't fit a blend pot in where the pickup selector switch is without significant routing in the cavity). An easier solution, and what I have done to my L2000 is to replace the single Master Volume with a stacked Volume control (a Volume for each pickup, no more Master). You can get all the tones you could get from a blend and more...

7. takeout

takeout

AHA. This may the solution.

Do you have separate series/parallel switches for each pickup then? Notice any weird volume balance issues between the two when shifting the balances?

I'd be interested in a schematic, if you drew one up...

8. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

Try out the blend pot idea. I did on this same bass in the photo. I thought I'd be able to get the "in between tones" - it didn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference for me. I went back to a Gibson style switch (did not need to enlarge the hole). What did give me the tone variety was the Stellartone Tone Styler Knob - farthest away from the master volume knob.
    You may like the concentric knob idea mentioned in the other post to get the blend function. G&L basses are so well made that they can handle mods and experiments like the blend pot idea.

9. takeout

takeout

Wow - now that's custom.

So you ditched the stock tone controls? Did you ditch the preamp too?

10. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I lifted out the whole harness - pots, wires and switches and battery terminal. I still have it - no bites on C.List. That toggle switch next to the Tonestyler knob is a tone bypass switch. The other hole from the stock switch is plugged with a stainless steel machine screw with a locknut on the inside. The pickups are always in series. I can split the coils by pulling the volume knob. Actually, I paid a guy to do the work.

11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I do have separate coil switches for each pickup- I also added the single coil setting for each switch. No weird volume balance issues as I used well matched linear 500k pots. I just wired the volumes using the standard Jazz bass volume scheme setup in place of the pickup selector switch.

I walked another TB'er through it in one of the G&L Club threads somewhere a while back. I'll try to dig it up.