1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&L L2000 Tribute or Ibanez SR500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lownote Floyd, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

I am ready to buy my next bass. I have narrowed things down to the G&L L2000 Tribute Made in Indonesia and the Ibanez SR500 (both in 4 string, both lefty models). To those who own or have played both, can I get your feedback? I am mostly into blues and classic rock. I want a neck that's thin and really easy to play (I understand that the Tribute has a standard P Bass neck vs. the American L2000 version that has a jazz neck, not sure I like that). I am still in the beginner/intermediate stage. Thanks.
  2. msact

msact Supporting Member

The G&L L2000 is a much more versatile instrument. I would choose it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't get put off by the neck profile. That's really a matter of technique. Keep your thumb on the back of the neck. It will dramatically extend your reach and speed. It's just a matter of practice. Don't get locked into one neck profile so early in your playing days.
  3. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Yes, the Ibby has a fast, slim neck, but with that comes massive fluctuations in the setup IME. I've had four Ibby SRs, all at or below the 500-series level (200, 305, 405, 535) and the necks were rubber.

I know a lot of guys here really love their SRs, but I'll never own one again and if I do, it will be a model above the 700 series. Given your choice, I'd go with the G&L. I love the preamps in the L series.
  4. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

I should have mentioned that I have short stubby fingers and seem to prefer a slimmer neck. As Dirty Harry said, "A man has to know his limitations" but it sounds like the G&L overall is the preferred option. And they make a lefty. I am also a finger picker if that makes any difference,
  5. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

I checked the specs out on the G&L USA L2000 and the Indonesian L2000, width-wise the nut width on the USA is 1 5/8 in. vs. 1 3/4 on the Indonesian (Tribute Series). Not much difference. Now the girth of the necks I don't know or understand. The only lefty P2000 Indonesian is a natural finish, swamp ash. Very attractive. And that's what I would get. Can't afford the USA.
  6. msact

msact Supporting Member

Honestly I have never paid much attention to neck width. I have everything from 1.5" to a 12 string that is over two inches. I have no problems playing any of them and I have very average size hands. I really think the key is to pay close attention to technique. Wrapping your thumb around the neck with limit your reach. Radius is more important to me. The flatter the better. I don't like round fretboards.
  7. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

How would the G&L sound with flats?
  8. msact

msact Supporting Member

Personally I don't like flats, so I couldn't tell you.
  9. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

I played a L-2000 strung with flats in a music store and it was a fantastic tone. I came in the check out cabs and brought my dingwall. Everyone in the store was like, nice B. For the fun of it I picked up the L-2000 and peoples heads were turning over the tone. Setup was a TC 450 into a berg HD212.

I'm not a flats kinda guy either.
  10. bassbenj

bassbenj

My opinon? Lousy!

To Bring out the best in a G&L you need the right strings. Flats won't do it nor will the uber-bright SIT strings they come with from the factory. Most agree that best G&L tone comes from something like nickel Addario XLs or Dunlops. Both rounds, both sound great!

Since I own BOTH G&Ls and Ibanez SR506, let me say that I don't agree that one is "better" than the other. They are QUITE different animals. I'd pick them for tone not that one is "better". It's all about what you WANT in a bass.

The G&L L2x00 series is VERY versatile, can be very agressive if needed and has enough of the old school vibe (especially passive) to make an excellent (if not THE) blues bass. An Ibanez has that classic Ibby fat tone that can work for blues but isn't as effective and certainly not as versatile. Necks on the Tribute series do tend to be "chunky" (which I happen to like) though.

But the Ibby SR50X series is THE classic "modern" bass and for classic rock would be my choice over the G&L. The G&L would work but you'd have to play with the tone and I think it'd be sort of a compromise. The Ibby would take to classic rock like a duck to water. Neck will be thin and fast and VERY comfy (yeah I like that one too!) Bass is lighter than G&L (or at least many of them).

So I wouldn't make any decision based on stories of G&L being "better" or the Ibanez having a "rubber neck". Mine is plenty stable. And that is in addtion to being thin fast and comfy. Make the choice on the tone you hear! These two basses are QUITE different which is why my solution (this is TB, right?) is to own them BOTH! :D
  11. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

Thanks BB. I already have a ESP B204 and a Fender USA Jazz, both 4 stringers. I play or attempt to play :) almost exclusively Chicago blues bass (a lot of 12 bar style) with a little '60s rock thrown in for good measure. Light is good because I have had 3 back surgeries and am held together by screws and bolts. And I do like a thin neck but I also need that traditional blues bass sound.

My favorite non-flat is the GHS Pressurewound. How would they sound on the G&L? On the Ibanez 500? And remember those short stubby fingers.

'Seems like each has its advantages and disadvantages for me, price-wise they are identical so that's not an issue. I am far from a pro, have a good, new 200 watt Peavey amp, and play only at home (for now).
  12. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member