G&L L2000 usa versus Tribute L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Porcelain, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Porcelain

Porcelain

I recently played a G&L L2000 Series E the other day, and liked it very much. Was thinking about getting a new one, but I'm pretty torn between the USA model, and the tribute. The only one I've played was the Series E, which I believe was made in the 80's, but not 100% sure about that. I'm after the best tone and feel possible, and basically need to know weather or not the USA L2000 is worth the extra money. Thanks!!

2. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Though I have the tribute version of the L2500, but totaly modified, If you look for the best feel than the USA model. In terms of sound both sound practicaly the same.

3. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

I have both a L2K tribby (Indonesian) and an MIA L2K---recent vintage with the 6-bolt neck attachment.

The tribby is pretty darn good.

Tonally, I can't tell the difference between the two. The tribby uses the same MIA pickups, so it's not too surprising that the sound is very similar.

The pros of the MIA L2K are:

1) Slightly better fit and finish. I may have lucked out with my tribby, but very little to complain about in the f&f department. I can say that the neck edges---slightly rolled, and well-dressed fret ends--may be a noticeable improvement on the MIA.
    2) Better tuners on the MIA---aluminum post lightweight tuners, vs. generic cheapy (but good quality) tuners
    3) Neck profile. The MIA is thinner, front-to-back.
    4) Options for different neck widths.

Overall, I'd say that a used tribby is a fantastic value. But if you're thinking about getting a new tribby, consider a used MIA for a couple hundred more. Nicer, and better resale value later on.

4. Porcelain

Porcelain

Thanks! The only thing holding me back on the USA version is the fact that it's about 1350 brand new. Even though it's a great bass, I still think that's a bit over-priced. Don't know if anyone's had any luck on ebay for these instruments, but I think if I saw a used L2000 USA for like 800-900, that might be worth it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Handyman

Handyman

You can find used US L2Ks for that price all the time in the TalkBass classifieds. I picked up my L2500 here a few years back in that price range.

The Guitar Center used site also has a some US and Tribute models in stock right now, too.

7. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Used Mia vs tribute go Mia . .
    If you are going used trip you an get a spanking deal on a greAt bass. Advantage of new USA is you can pick your neck and finish etc. good luck...they are great bases

8. Porcelain

Porcelain

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check out talkbass classifieds for that. Originally, I had my eyes on the Warwick Pro Series Corvette active 5. Although I have never played the vett, I still feel like the G&L may have the edge. I could be wrong, has anyone had a chance to play the corvette pro series 5 AND the G&L L2000 for a comparison?