g&l l2000 vs l2500 tone difference

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by longshadow, Nov 20, 2012.

1. longshadow

longshadow

Hallo all.
    I play mostly a g&l l2000 tribute and i love it, now i am thinking to buy the five string version(l2500)

Have anyone owned these two?is there a tone difference between the 4 and 5 string version?

I am asking this because I had a stingray 4 in the past and it sounded VERY different from the 5rays i have played.

Any info is welcome
  2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I have both and there are no major differences in tone. Every bass, even the same models can vary, and if there are different materials use on each, that could affect it as well. So, IMO, mine are pretty close in tones and not vastly different, but if possible (G&Ls arent abundant in stores at least around me) try it out first.
  3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Same electronics and pickups, just an extra string. Should be a smooth transition once your comfortable with a Low B string.
  4. Temcat

Temcat

4- and 5-string tone can be different due to added neck mass of the latter. It's also not unlikely that 4- and 5-string pickups have different coil parameters, though I wouldn't say that with certainty.
  5. lug

lug

From 1991 to 2008 the Stingray 5 had ceramic pickups, the 4 string uses alnico pups. The 5 now uses alnico pups as well.
  6. iunno

iunno

The 2000 and 2500 should sound exactly the same, more or less. The first Stingray 5s were more like 5 string Sterlings, they had Ceramic pickups and the Sterling EQ. Later 5s have Alnico pickups and the same EQ as a the 3 band SR4.
  7. longshadow

longshadow

thanks for the info folks.
    Hey , Igroh, so you have both...
    How do you feel about neck thickness, is it the same or the 5string has more meat?
    Nut width is the same by g&l specs, but my l2000 tribby has 43mm instead the 44.5mm

The truth is i want an l2500 for more comfy playing.My l2000 give me pain in my fretting hand...I had an OLP mm3 in the past, i did not like it but it was the most comfy neck i have played ever....it was huge