G&L l2500 K switching

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ddbassGA, May 8, 2011.

1. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

How hard would it to be to covert a L2000 or L2500 to K switching to get the single coils. Just replace the middle mini toggle with a 3 way and wire it right? Anyone have a wiring diagram?
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, that is essentially it. It's not an especial big deal even though lots of wires are involved. I did it to both of my L2500s. Love it. Note the switch is not just and ordinary three position switch but a rather expensive "3-way" switch. I don't have the diagram right now but it was posted on SOME thread here on TB a while back when I did it. Maybe someone saved the link.

Note that when going single coil with both pickups, you have to make a choice with wiring the mod between the "outer" halves or the "inner" halves. (you need to pick one of those two choices to cancel hum). For a long time I had an extra switch that let me choose between inner and outer. Since I was always choosing "outer", That was my choice for the K switch. Others have said they liked "inner" better. Note too that if you choose only ONE pickup in single coil mode you get a single coil hum just like a Jazz bass.
  3. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

That all makes sense. Which single choice is in the factory version? Seems the outers would give the greatest difference in tone.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Do it right man, add a 3 way switch for each pickup!
  5. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

6. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

7. mozarwasagenius

mozarwasagenius Supporting Member

I was curious based on reports what single coil mode would sound like

I tried switching the series mode for each pickup to single-coil mode on the outer coils per the "bassesbyleo" website. It was quite easy to do. While the volume between the parallel and single coil modes was much more similar than between parallel and series modes, I found two things I didn't like about this configuration. First, the tone in series mode just seemed very thin. Parallel mode seemed to get as much or more clarity but without the thinness. Secondly, the hum (unless I blended the pickups together) was noticable. Thus I went back to Series/Parallel. Just my opinion, YMMV

best of luck
  8. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

I have performed the series (with OMG)-single coil (inside coils)-parallel mod on my USA 2011 L-2000 and I believe that either some basses have different coil/wire arrangements or there are some flawed switch diagrams out there.

I bought this switch from Newark: 1M46T1B5M1QE Stock No: 95M4624 to use.

the pic below is a revised diagram that works perfectly. If you don't want the OMG sound for the Series setting then just omit the .1uf caps but still leave the jumpers there.
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have the OMG caps going to a push-pull switch on the treble pot. That gives you a great choice of sounds. (pull for OMG) And as I said before, mine is configured with outside coils.
  10. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

I was going to do that myself but the straight series sound on mine is not nice...