1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L L2500 tribute, or Ibanez SR405?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ux4484, Mar 27, 2014.

1. ux4484

ux4484

Both are nice (G&L is a sunburst, Ibby is root beer). Both are a great deal ($250 for the Ibby, $350 for the G&L). I've played the Ibby, and it's perfect other than needing a new jack. I've played a 2500, but not this one... It's a 2.5 hour drive to see it. I had a GSR 105, good player but limited tone options, the 405 fixes that... but I've wanted a G&L for 25 years.
    Pros? Cons?
    My current 4 stringers are a Fender JP -90 and a Yamaha RBX 170, both play excellently.

...and I'm a cheapskate at heart.

2. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

My main bass is a Tribute L2500. It's my favorite bass ever.

3. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

i go for the Ibby any day as they are amazing instruments, G&L are good too but if you have to drive that much for a bass that costs $100 more, save the cash and miles and get the ibby. You wont be dissapointed.

4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    IMO, hands down the L2500. Ultimately of course it's up to you, but the L2500 would work immensely better for me and the music I play / bands I play in.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ux4484

ux4484

Well, the Ibby was mispriced, and the G&L too far away. When I went to GC. to re-evaluate the Ibby, I tripped over a SUB 5, and got hooked on the narrow yet baseball bat thick neck.

7. DanGR

DanGR

Sub's are great for the money and a lot of players in my area are loving them. If you ever do decide to go the Ibanez way, go for at least the SR505 on up. They have Bartolini pickups and sound WAY better than the Ibanez or "CAP" pickups on the 100-400 series.

8. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

I had an Ibanez a few years ago and it never let me down, but it had zero vibe. It looked okay and had 3-band EQ, but it wasn't magic.

Go buy the G & L and get some funk.

9. ux4484

ux4484

Heh, three month later follow up:

When I got the SUB home, it had a paint split at the joint of the upper "wing" near the horn that happened in the case, just driving it home. I took it back to GC, they took another $90 off and said they'd take it back if it got worse... It did, after a week it was all the way through to the bottom of the bass. It's still there "as is" for $191, someone colored in the crack with a sharpie.

The G&L is no longer listed, though I think he still has it. I Just don't have the time for that drive. I did run across a couple of Cort Curbow fivers, one played nice but sounded terrible amplified, the other is beat to heck, but plays and sounds like a dream (in the same model amp). Other than GAS, there's not really a reason for me to have a fiver.

Fender JP-90
    Epi Bass Club #169 JC sig

10. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Can you let me know which GC? For that price, I have ideas :D

11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

Let me state that I am a HUGE Ibanez fan...but I would definitely go for the G&L, that's a steal for an instrument like that.

12. Guinness20

Guinness20

G&L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pjbassist likes this.
  13. ux4484

ux4484

Burbank Illinois.

Fender JP-90
    Epi Bass Club #169 JC sig

14. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Hell, for that price get both of them. Play both for a few months and then sell the one you like least. Or if they're both exceptional just keep them both. Good luck!