1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

g&l l2500 tribute

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bobdabilder, Jan 12, 2014.

1. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

I purchased a g&l l2500 tribute to incorporate a fiver into my playing. I am comparing it to my ebmm sterling with a maple neck. The g&l is rosewood. The string tension on the g&l seems a bit high and i am not quite sure i like the feel the bass has. Two questions: does anyone know what size strings are standard on the g&l? I was considering putting some ernie ball regular slinkies on it 45-130. Anyone experience that and did it help the feel?
    Thanks in advance.

2. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

Ordered the slinkies in 45-130 from bassstringsonline.com so I'll report back.

3. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

When I had my L2500, I ran D'addario rounds, and then tried their half rounds. I never really fell in love with the B on either of those sets. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Also, make sure you string through the body. Tributes have a tendency to lose their bridges otherwise.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

String tension is about the strings, not the bass. I use DR HiBeams, strung through the body, and they are great. Just make sure you experiment with the size of the B string and what works for you. I like the 40 60 80 100 on my G-E strings but had to take up the gauge on the B string to at least 125 or 130 so it doesnt flop.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

That's a great point some may not pick up on. and the reason for the question about string size. Thanks for all the replies. I'll post back.

7. Andy_D

Andy_D

I also have an L-2500 Tribute I believe it came with D'Adaario XL Nickels. The music store threw a couple packs of stings of my choice when I bought it. I opted for the Dean Markley Helix strings. Never tried them but they look interesting. Also, the rep said at the store said he had them on his L-2000 and that that they were his go to string for his L-2000 now. I'm looking forward to trying them when my current strings go dead. Also read some good things about them here on TB.

8. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

Perfect! would be interested to see how the helix work out for you.
    Thank you.

9. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

I did confirm that the bass comes stock with D'Addario Nickels 45-130.

10. vxjoe

vxjoe

L-2500 comes with D'Addario EXP 170-5SL, 45-130. I tried Chromes, ECB 81-5SL and love them. The B string ball was too large for the ferrule but did finally seat. I'm not too fond of the any B note tone, but think using a 130 would sound better. B sounds fine but not as full as the C on up. So I'm not complaining about the string tone , just that it would fit better, and possibly sound more focused with a 130.

kkaarrll likes this.
  11. klokker

klokker

I have a USA L-2500. A tapered B results in a night and day difference. Magic answers are usually overstated, but in my case, the difference was complete......can't recommend it highly enough.

A good set up and the L 2500 is a sweet big balls bass. By the way, I've plugged the string through holes with screws and hardware recommended on the G&L website and top load. Super.

12. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

I found that mod. I'll try it when I next change strings. bought super longs for this change.
    thanks for the reply.

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Thomastic Super Alloys for rounds, Jazz Flats or Chomes for flats. String feel is also be a function of setup. Changing string tension may necessitate a truss tweak for optimum feel...optimum feel being a personal thing.

At 59, fighting some deterioration, lighter, lower softer. Works best for me...

14. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

what set did you put in? what was your result? sound clips?