1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L L2500 USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Hello All,

I have a chance to buy a US L2500 for a great price. Should I pull the trigger? Are the US L2500's good? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Oh and this one has an ebony fret board.

Thanks

Shaun

2. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Nice basses for sure.

I sold mine as I prefer to have mids & the active\passive volume change was pretty high

Nit picking but overall the bass was cool

3. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

I have one. It's an Ash Body, Maple neck with a Bird's Eye Maple fretboard. It's a great lightweight Bass. Very powerful Pickups, and easy to play.

4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Awesome basses, for sure. They can go from mild to extremely aggressive sounding.

My only knock on them is they tend (not always, of course) to be just a little on the heavy side. Mine is about 10.5 pounds and I would not be trying to sell it if it were 9.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ODDBALL

How are ebony fretboards? Should I know anything?

Shaun

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

There's no way to tell you if you should pull the trigger. That's a personal decision, and nobody knows your needs & preferences as well as you do. :eyebrow:

Are the L2500s good? The answer is that they're very good for particular types of applications; likely not very good at all for other types of applications. While theoretically any kind of bass guitar could suit any situation, I'm not one who believes in "the interchangeability theory", i.e. the notion that in practice, one will work just as well as another for a given application. :rollno:

The L2500 is known as an aggressive, growling punch machine. If that happens to fit your particular musical application(s), then you might just love it. If you're looking for a refined, hi-fi instrument that's well-suited for playing smooth jazz or gospel, for example, its rough & rowdy sonic signature might not be for you.

Capiche? :eyebrow:

MM

8. ODDBALL

I mainly play classic rock to rock music. I am not in a band, just a home musician. Although my church has asked me to play bass in there band. How would this bass work for that?

Thanks

Shaun

9. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

With all the tonal options it has I can't see how it wouldn't be killer in a classic rock band.

10. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

L2500's are very versatile. I like them better than the newer m2500.

The L2500 can be used for any style of music.

Ebony is a more expensive fingerboard wood, and is more rare on G&L's.

Should you buy it at a good price. Yes, probably, as long as there's nothing wrong with it. Definitely yes if you don't know what you want specifically.

11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I for one have found a way for my 2500s to cover more sounds then ruff & rowdy sounds of most stock 2500s
    I own 2 an 06 fretted and a 97 frettless. thanks to the G&L forum here and a $100 in parts I removed the actives and converted to full coil tapping on either pickup. I also switched to La Bella Black Nylon Tape wounds strings on all my basses.
    Using this configuration I am able to achieve a multitude of sounds from ruff & rowdy to almost an upright sound with my frettless.
    The diagrams and directions are on the G&L forum here or pm your email and I'll send them to you are anyone who would like them.
    Again this is what works for me.

12. theduke1

Shaun
    I also play on my church's praise team and use both of my L2500s
    go for it

13. ODDBALL

Well.... nevermind the seller just backed out on me. :(

Shaun

14. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    My only complaints are Narrow spacing and... Yeah, that's it! For the money it's hard to beat an L2500! You'll need to learn how to dial in the Volume knob. Wide opened it's Growly and Tough sounding. Roll back the volume a bit and Civil Tones come forth.

15. theduke1

keep looking you'll find one

16. ODDBALL

Yeah. The seller was a little uneasy that I was asking questions. Maybe he thought I was one of those buyers. I just wanted to know information prior to buying. No big deal. Just wasn't meant to be.

Shaun

17. theduke1

Let me know if I can be of any help
    Mike

18. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

There's a killer US L2500 for sale here (not mine) in the classifieds. Blueburst with an ebony board....

19. cv115505

cv115505

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Assuming the previous owner took proper care of it, it will be one of the best basses you have ever owned

20. Chebass88

Chebass88

I have two of them, a 2005 Sunburst with Ebony fingerboard & a 2009 Honeyburst with BEM fingerboard. I love these basses. They are big, strong, and sound great in a variety of situations.

I sold a Pedulla Thunderbass ET5 (with Aguilar OBP3) in order to buy the 2009 L2500, if that tells you anything.

21. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

There's more than 1 killer US L2500 for sale in the Classifieds here... ;)