1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&L LB-100 : opinions on value??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIg O, Oct 1, 2002.

1. BIg O

BIg O

I just played a used (but absolutely mint - not even any visible surface scratches on the back) G&L LB-100. Colour is Belair green, white pickguard and white split P pickup. G&L heavy bridge (not through body strung), rosewood board, alder body. With very nice hard case.

Action was set a bit high, so I don't know how low it might go, but the low end tone with the tone control set at ~75% was classic P bass.

I'm not really into P basses, my F's give me all the sounds I need, but this one is kind of cute and a bit different as well. Sort of has that "surf guitar" vibe. The shop isn't sure, but I think it is a late 90's or Y2K model (when did they discontinue this model? No real info on the G&L website).

Shop is asking $795 CAD ($460 USD). Any comments on this price? From what I can gather this is a bit higher than I thought was fair market (I would have guessed closer to $350 USD), but it is in "new" condition.
  2. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

Yes, I'd think your guess is closer to the real value than what the asking price is. I'm going mostly by what I've seen on ebay. You can pick up a mint to very nice G&L SB2 with hardcase for $375-$425 and the LB-100 is a lower model. I've also owned an SB-1 which is comparable to the LB-100 and they are really well built, good sounding basses. I got my SB-1, like new, with hard case, upgraded Schaller tuners and drop D tuner for $375. Time to deal if you like it ;)
  3. Rob W

Rob W

I didn't think the LB-100 was ever considered a "lower" model. As far as I know, the main difference between it and the SB is the pickup, which is more of a vintage P bass pickup as opposed to the Magnetic Field pickups that are on the SBs.

Is it really discontinued?

BTW, one of my G&Ls is an SB 2 and it's a fantastic passive bass. The LB-100 is also a really great bass and that is a great colour that you're looking at.
  4. extreme

extreme

The LB-100 is definitely not a lower model, it's just more "vintage" in it's design. They retailed for $1250, so IMHO $460 is a great deal for a NOS LB-100 w/hsc. You may be able to get them to come down a little. However, if you like the bass, then by all means go for it!
  5. bassman blue

Yes, the LB-100 (which was the Legacy model) and SB1 are both discontinued models. Both the LB-100 and SB-1 had the split coil pickups. the LB-100 was listing for around $1200-$1250, the same price as the SB-1. Both, however listed for less than the SB-2...sorry, that's all I meant, not that the LB-100 is sub-standard, it's not, it's a great bass, built to the same high quality standards as all G&L instruments. You probably pay a little extra for the SB-2 simply because of the added jazz style pickup. :)
  6. winston

winston Supporting Member

I've been impressed by all the LB-100's and SB-1/SB-2's I've played-they have a richness of tone that only the best real Fender P's have. $460's not totally unreasonable but I'm sure you can find a price that works for both you and the store.

Big O-I'm also a thrilled F Bass (Sunburst BN5) owner, but I'd suggest getting the LB-100 and putting a good set of flats on it. I've had great results with TI Jazz Flats on a Godin SD-4 I just got. The TI's gives me a different set of tones than the nickel D'Addario roundwounds on the F Bass.
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound

I have an SB-1. The main difference between the SB-1 and the LB-100 is the pickup. The SB-1 sounds less like a P-bass than you would expect, but I like it. The LB-100, as has been mentioned, is supposed to have a "vintage" sound. Been a while since a played an LB, but it seemed pretty Precision-ish.

Value on G&L's is an interesting thing, because many would agree that their build quality is better than a US Fender, but their resale value is lower. I had an American Standard Precision (ash-bodied) fairly recently, and for me, the G&L is a better bass.
  8. bassman blue

Yes, it's odd how the G&L resale values are quite low...great for us who want a great bass at a fraction of the new price or versus the price for an American Fender. I swear they are one of the best kept secrets out there for used basses. Where else can you buy a US made instrument, with such high quality, ease of accessibility for parts, and consumer support...just check out G&L's webpage to see how much support there really is and how well established the G&L community is. Great stuff, they really don't get the recognition they deserve.
  9. Mike A

Mike A

I agree with the above statements... I've had my ASAT for a few months now and it still blows me away. Such a great bass.. and at a rock bottom used price. (mine's also in BelAire Green - took a while to get used to it, but now I wouldn't change it for anything)

And Blg O, for more info on G&L's check:
    www.guitarsbyleo.com
  10. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

I came across a used one (black w/white pickguard) at the local Guitar Center for $629.99 (USD). It had a few blemishes, but it was setup perfectly so I overlooked those as they aren't too noticeable unless you are nosing around at an oddly close distance. I was playing a Fender USA Nitro Satin Series Precision Bass before this, then I walked over to the used section and saw this bad boy. The tonal differences are definitely noticeable. The Fender had a brighter-ish growl to it (after EQ is applied on amplifier) and the G&L almost had a high-end Fender Jazz bass growl to it, but the perfect blend of classic p-bass darkness. I hope nobody else has picked up on its scent because I definitely am GASing for this beauty.