1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L M2000 Tributes - how do they compare to the USA models?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Apr 12, 2014.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I know that the L2000 Tributes compared pretty favorably to the USA models, but what about the M2000 Tributes?

I have one of the white basswood body ones coming in the mail on Monday - will it be similar quality to an L2000 Tribute?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

A little late to be asking that question, don't you think?

3. fourstringbliss

Thank you, sir!

Anybody else?

4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

I have one of the white Tribute M2000 GTBs with the black trim line. Also own a US L2000 and have owned a Tribute L2000. The M2000 GTB (same one I suspect you've ordered) is really excellent, very nearly as good in every aspect as my US G&Ls have been. The only review on Musician's Friend is mine. Here's what it says: "This Tribute bass was beautifully made: really excellent fit and finish with a brilliant white paint job and black trim. Headstock white is on the front surface only. Satin neck is smaller than with the L2000 and very comfortable for a Fender Jazz Bass player. Retains the aggressive bite of the MFD pickups on the L2000 but with much better electronics for a player committed to active preamp tone. The instrument came quite well set up; however, the bridge pickup was too low to balance the neck pickup and needed to be raised. After a modest truss rod adjustment for light gauge Fender Nickel rounds (it shipped with medium D'Addario XLs) and some string height fiddling (locking the bridge which wasn't locked when shipped), it plays marvellously. This instrument is great value, especially at the sale price I got it for. No gig bag which was disappointing and the small Allen key supplied for adjusting string height and locking the bridge was the wrong size. The instrument is a bit on the heavy side but solid as a rock. Beautiful neck pocket and 6 bolt assembly. No noticeable neck dive despite substantial tuners. Highly recommended." I've tried a bunch of different strings on it and it now loves its TI Jazz Flats. It's an eye-catcher on stage and has brought many compliments on its sound. You're in for a treat.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

If you don't feel comfortable saying it here, can you PM me the price?

7. fourstringbliss

I bought mine here on TB for $415 shipped.

Mine arrived on Tuesday and it's great! It's as nice or nicer than any L2000 Tribute I've played. The fretwork is excellent and it weighs just under 9 lbs. It balances well and sounds great! I've owned a number of L2000 Tributes and always modified them - this one I'm leaving alone because it sounds like I always wanted the Tribby's to sound.

Mine got damaged in shipping so I'm going to be repainting it like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still up in the air about the racing stripe, though.

8. jmlee

$475 from Musician's Friend. It's all a bit complicated. I originally ordered an all-white (no black trim) M2000 Tribute that was, I gather, a demo batch from G&L. That particular version shipped from multiple vendors on EBay about that time, all for $399--and that's the price I agreed to pay for mine. Well, it didn't ship and didn't ship...and the "expected shipping" date was extended by 3 weeks every three weeks on the nose. After multiple contacts, I finally managed to get a guy on the phone to check higher up the food chain and (just as I had suspected and had repeatedly proffered to MF via email), there were no more and no more were expected. By this time, the GTBs were available—black stripe and all—and going for $799. I tried to convince the MF guy that they really ought to give me a GTB for $399 because I had been misled for that long. No go. After some back and forth, we agreed on $475. At that price, it's been an outstanding value.

[​IMG]

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that dude. I love the binding - she's a beaut.

I do like the MDF pickups on the L - but with the M I think I can tone it down to reduce the inherent "clank" they seem to have.

10. jmlee

It's hard to separate the effects of the alway-on preamp in the M2000 from differences in the MFD pickups between the L and M series (apparently they are *not* quite the same pickups). My impression from playing is that the M series pickups are a bit more refined while the L series (preamp in or out makes no difference really) have more of a take-no-prisoners bite. For instance, I used the Trib M2000 for a stage show pit band rehearsal when I was too lazy to haul the upright through the snow and it did just fine. A week later I took the US L2000 and it wasn't nearly so comfortable a fit, despite much flicking of switches and tinkering with the volume and tone controls.

11. leegreenman

leegreenman

Never played an import G&L that wasn't excellent. Best import line in the business in my opinion. Enjoy it!

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

The M-2000/2500 pickups are 12% underwound relative to the L-series pickups, and are only wired in series. So, with everything flat they produce a slightly dialed back version of the L-series basses with their pickups wired in series. They have that core MFD tone, but it's less intense. At least that's how I perceive it. The L-series basses can be more aggressive, but I've found my M-2500 plenty aggressive, and downright nasty when run through my G-K MB-500's boost channel.

I also used my M-2500 for a musical, and it worked extremely well. That's one setting in which on-the-fly tone changes via an on-board preamp are darned useful.