G & L M2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ahdunno, Feb 16, 2012.

1. ahdunno

ahdunno

Has anyone gotten a chance to play one yet? G & L updated the site with more info.

G&L’s M Series: M-2000 & M-2500

I like the L2000 but wasn't a fan of the three switches. To me, the switches were flimsy it made the bass feel cheap. Reminded me of my old science faire projects. ;) I think the new knobs look great ( page 2).

I saw the write up in BP mag and someone pointed out they have the L2000 sticker on the head stock.

I just recently found one on ebay and bassnw. The one at bassnw has a black burst glossy finish.

Can you say Darth Vader your bass is ready?

2. Temcat

Temcat

Be the first buyer and reviewer! I'm very curious about this bass, too ;)

3. Bogster

Bogster Supporting Member

I'm curious about the M2000 as well. And that blackburst looks absolutely killer. Been GAS'ing for one since Mytola got his blackburst L2500 last year.

4. southpaw420

southpaw420

No series parallel switch?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

No switches at all. Just volume, blend, bass, mid and treble knobs.

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

went to BassNW on monday and they just got in a matching set of blackburst/maple-boarded 4 and 5 string M-basses. only played the 4-string bass. pretty killer slap tone. the new #12 neck (1-5/8", 12" radius) has a fairly meaty profile, but still plenty comfortable.

8. Timmay on bass

Timmay on bass

I tried out the 5 string at Bass NW today, and I loved it, although I might miss having the Series/Parallel switch. I think it will be a hit with people who prefer the more common blend and boost/cut knobs. I may have to get one!

9. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

FWIW I've never heard of the switches on a L2000 breaking and FWIW I would love to try one of those M's!

10. sailri

sailri

11. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Greg at rocket music let me spec one out when they were launched with no commitment to buy. I'm hoping it gets in I'm the next week. when I ride up to get my mike lull I want to try it out. ordered it with a gloss maple quartersawn neck and a belair green body.

12. felixxx

felixxx

They are active only, and that is the deal breaker for me. I guess I'll stay with L series.

13. rednoise

rednoise

I usually play my L-2000 in passive parallel mode, so the M series may not quite fit me. I'd like to try one out, though. I like the pan pot.

14. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

The L series is the best sounding passive bass I've ever heard. I never turned the pre on when I had mine.

15. iunno

iunno

Meh, I much prefer switches and passive wiring to an eq, which IMO doesn't change the sound all that much. It looks like they turned an L2000 into "just another bass".

16. willsellout

willsellout

Actually they turned it into just another great bass. It still sounds and plays like an L2K just without the switches. It's more user friendly and it didn't feel like it was lacking anything. It can be super aggressive just like the L2K you know and love, but it can also do something that the L2K can't do well, which is mellow out. And it's super easy to dial tones in with the EQ; I really enjoyed it. I do wish they had a passive switch for it, but other than that it's at least equal to an L2K and probably better than an L2K for many.

I would order one of the M series before the L series, but that's just me. I'm curious though, have you had the chance to play one or are you making your assumptions off of the specs alone?

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

It's the no passive mode that bothers me. Even if it's just an "emergency" dead battery/preamp thing like pull up on the volume control for passive in case of emergency. Doesn't even need to match volume or tone. I've got a couple of basses like this. AND I've had to use it too! Notably was the time brand new batteries proved to be defective!

Without the emergency switch, then I need to bring a second bass which is probably a good thing in any case, but the more levels of back up I have the better I feel about things.

18. willsellout

willsellout

Or, and this might be crazy, you could bring spare batteries:bag::D

19. iunno

iunno

Really? I find it very hard to believe that you can't mellow it out with parallel wiring and some EQing at the amp.

I haven't played either an L2000 or an M, I've never even seen one. I'm not really a fan of their tone either, except on fretless. I have, however, played enough basses with preamps to know that I don't like them. Even the Bongo's preamp wasn't particularly impressive, and I took the pre out of my ray in favour of a neck pickup and a coil switch. It's much, much more versatile now, and sounds a hell of a lot better.

20. willsellout

willsellout

I didn't say anything about using the amp. I don't know too many people who fiddle with their amp on stage, but you certainly could if you wanted to, or if you had a dual channel amp.

So you are weighing in on the differences between two basses that you've never seen, played, or heard in person. Got it.

21. steamthief

steamthief

I had no idea G&L is now making a #12 neck - finally! Is it available on all basses, or just the M series?