1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&L Order Placed...the Waiting Begins!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 21, 2013.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

With thanks to Lucky Strike for the tip, I just got a fantastic deal and placed an order through Jim's Music in Tustin, CA for a new G&L LB-100. I was told I'm looking at probably 7 weeks, though G&L gives them a reasonably accurate ETA along the way so I may hear differently.

Specs:

Emerald Green Metallic
    #12 Neck (standard), Quartersawn w/ Light Tint Satin
    Rosewood Fretboard w/ No Face Dots
    Tort PG

It will look similar to the JB pictured below but that color looks a bit dark due to the photography, so it might be closer in color to the one with the white PG. But even that looks bright due to it being under bench lights.

I am also having some custom knobs made by http://archipelagoglass.com/agstore/index.php/ Basically wood versions of the G&L knobs. Same dimensions (0.748" D x 0.75" H), flat top and knurled but made out of Cocobolo with a maple indicator line on the top. [DEL]Like this but with a maple line instead of a white dot: [/DEL]

*edit* They're done!

[​IMG]

It should be sweet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. solodb

solodb

That will be an elegant bass. Good choice!
  3. Tom-Phil

Tom-Phil

My compliments on the finish/pickguard combo. I've played around with the G&L online builder for hours, and that's the combo I always end up with. So classy. Enjoy that bass!
  4. fourstringdrums

I just got an email from Clayton at Archipelago. The knobs are done (only took 3 days). He almost always makes extra so he has 3 of them made. I ordered 2 so he'll send the best 2 out of the 3.

They're beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree Supporting Member

Thats going to look great
  6. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan

Enjoy that bass! Nice knobs, BTW :meh: - thanks for the link.
  7. fourstringdrums

8. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Supporting Member

Sweet! This bass is gonna be killer. I really like that scheme.
  9. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nicely done. I love the green. Cool knobs too. Please post pics when it is complete.

Best Wishes,
    Bones
  10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Ooooooh.....yes!
  11. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Placed my first G&L custom order back in 1999. As I remember it the promised ETA was pretty accurate.
    Best of luck with the wait (as TP say, the hardest part).
  12. msact

msact Supporting Member

Congrats on the purchase. I placed two orders early this year and one took 7 weeks, the other 4.5 months. Both were worth the wait.
  13. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

That's going to be pretty hot, man. I remember loving the wait for my G&Ls... Those 7-10 weeks felt like a century!

1. Open case slowly.
    2. Inhale deeply.
  14. fourstringdrums

Ah yes. I haven't had a new bass (I've usually bought used off TB) in about 10 years. I remember that smell though...
  15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Nice! That will be gorgeous, and I think you will love the quartersawn/rosewood combo. I have that on my G&L JB, and IMO it's wonderful. The neck is rock solid and resonant, and the rosewood warms it up a bit. (Insert the usual IMO, YMMV qualifiers here.) I think it's become more resonant over time, and it's my favorite neck.

I've been contemplating an LB-100 build for months, but I already have a fantastic SB-2 and my band rarely plays out these days, so I can't justify it.
  16. NWB

NWB

I've found that US G&L's are absolutely fantastic instruments.

I really like that color scheme.

Congrats on your new baby!
  17. fourstringdrums

I wanted to get the quartersawn more for stability than resonance. I live in New England and the bass is in a room that gets a lot of sun. I feel like with my Fender I'm having to adjust the neck more than I should. Not that it changes a huge amount, but enough where I notice. I like my necks with barely any relief.
  18. Mound of Sound

Mound of Sound Supporting Member

I feel the pain, as I ordered a G&L and had to sit through the wait, but it was worth it. Also went quartersawn (as a fellow New Hampshire-ite). I like the wood knobs - I may have to look into that.

This is the beauty I picked up a couple of years ago...

[​IMG]
  19. fourstringdrums

Very nice. I'm planning on a fretless too but I still don't know what color. Oh well I still have 3-4 months at least before I make that decision.

The knobs were reasonably priced. I paid about $15 and some change for the two.

Nice meeting another New Hampshirite. I used to live near Brookline when I was in Massachusetts. I was in Westminster (near Townsend which is on the border). I drove through there all the time to get to Manchester where I am now. You're aware that www.juststrings.com isn't far from you right?
  20. fusionbassed

fusionbassed

I too have been impressed with any US made G&L I've picked up - guitar or bass. You are getting an outstanding instrument for your money. Downside is resale value absolutely sucks BUT a G&L is generally such a good instrument you're not going to want to part with it.