G&L SB-1/LB-100

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Milo, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Fellas,

Curious which of the above two G&L P basses would have more of a growly tone?

LB-100 split coil alnico pickup
    SB-1 MFD split coil humbucking....

Currently saving all gig money for a new USA G&L and I'm still 1K away from my goal......

My rig is Hartke LH500 paired with Hartke XL4X10 and Hartke 4.5X10XL cabs......

My band covers the following:
    Rolling Stones
    CCR
    AC/DC
    INXS
    Motley Crue
    7 Mary Three
    Bob Seger
    JJ Grey
    Black Crowes and the list goes on.....

I prefer a bass that has more of a growl to it....If I had Ampeg gear I could get that in spades but with my Hartke rig which would you choose?

Right now I'm torn between 3 different finishes.....Metallic Orange....Metallic Ruby Red.....Pearl White.....I will get the birdseye maple neck fretboard option......Matching headstock is a for sure thing..

The neck options I am not sure about.....I do prefer a Jazz based neck and G&L offers 3 different neck options:

#5 Vintage C
    #6 Vintage Narrow C
    #7 Modern C

I'm guessing I would prefer the #6 Vintage Narrow C...I have smaller hands and even shorter fingers thanks to having short parents!

http://www.americanguitarboutique.net/LB100BassGuitarGen.html

This is where I am doing all of my planning and homework but the pickup options I need help with......Thanks!
  2. Root 5

Root 5

I have an LB100 and love it. But I'm inclined to think, of the two, the SB1 would have more bite and growl; the SB1 pickup is pretty hot.
  3. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

The SB1 hands down
  4. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Thanks very much guys! The SB-1 it is then........

The site at American Guitar Boutique is a GAS enabler! Visit the site often and go thru all the different color schemes I can dream up......
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I have an SB-2, and agree the SB-1 is probably the right call b/c the MFD split-coil is a monster and has lots of texture that could be called growl. Plus, more vintage tones are available when you roll back the volume. Even so, some of this depends on the voicing of the LB-100's pickup. Is it gnarly like a Fralin, or buttery smooth like a Duncan SPB-2? I don't know, but you don't need to worry about that if you go with the SB-1. It will rule.

If you want a J-type neck, it's #6 or #8, with the latter having a flatter fretboard radius, and the former a more vintage radius. I prefer the #8, but if you like vintage J-bass necks you might like the #6.

I've spent way more time on that G&L configurator than I want to know. I also play guitar, which makes it doubly addictive. I know I want a G&L S-type at some point, but it's tough to decide which one (or two)! I think it's probably a Legacy HB, but I'm also drawn to the MFD goodness of the S-500 and Comanche.
  7. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

The time spent on that G%L bass configuration could have been better spent actually practicing rather than day dreaming......

More than likely will go with the #6 vintage neck and right now Pearl White is winning with Tangerine Metallic at a close 2nd place.

Not sure how many more gigs I will have to play to earn the cash for the bass but I can hope to have the new bass by early summer late spring........We don't have many gigs on the books right now and we are always trying to get booked......
  8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

SB-2 trumps them both. ;)
  9. GlennRH

GlennRH

Whenever I’ve tried out a LB-100, it has struck me simply as a G&L rendition (saddle-lock bridge etc.) of a Fender Precision. Frankly, that does not appeal to me as much as the second-style (current) SB-1 bass.
    The second-style SB-1 bass (with split MFD single-coil pickup) seems to me the pinnacle of P-bass evolution. Honestly, I do not believe that there is a better P-bass than a G&L SB-1. In particular, the SB-1 pickup is absolutely brilliant: very hot, beautifully clear in the highs, enormous in the lows, and perfectly growly on the lower-mids. The SB-1 bass delivers more and better than both G&L LB-100 and Fender Precision. SB1l.JPG
  10. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I have a 1990 SB1 and could not agree with you more. Well said my friend! Not a real good shot but its in the rack.

Attached Files:

11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Heres a better shot of my SB1

Attached Files:

12. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

The SB-2T is the SB-1 plus more (a J pickup). I don't know why anyone would get an SB-1.
  13. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

It's not usable soloed and when used with the P pickup it sucks out the mids. Additionally the SB-1 has a tone knob which a lot of folks like.
  14. StuartV

The SB-2T also has a Tone knob. If you simply leave the J pickup off, then it gives you everything the SB-1 does. AND you have the option of using the J pickup. Soloed, the J pickup IS pretty useless. But, if you dime it and turn the P pickup to just 10% or so, it gives a good, very useable sound!
  15. StrangerDanger

The SB-2 does not have a tone knob. Is there a new bass called an SB-2T? If so I stand corrected. But that "J" doesn't sound like any J bass bridge pick up I've ever heard.
  16. StuartV

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/g-l-sb-2t-bleg.1038640/

I believe you stand corrected.
  17. StrangerDanger

I think if you ordered enough of them, they'd make basses with unicorn horns. Doesn't make it a G&L model.

The point is that lots of very astute people don't want a bridge pickup. Especially one with such a huge disparity in output. Hence my response to the snarky comment about "why would anyone want an SB-1".
  18. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I tried the SB-2, and it doesn't sound the same as the SB-1.
    even without the J pu, it just is not quite there.
    I dunno why, but when I play the SB-1, it has something the SB-2 does not. a bit more bite, growl, throat, heat, whatever you want to call it.

Here is my 80's SB-1 with it's best friend:
    [​IMG]
  19. StuartV

Did you read the part about "G&L made a run of them and called them the SB-2T"?

If you can go to your G&L dealer and order an SB-2T, then I don't see how you can say it's not a G&L model.

Further, what I said was "I don't know why anybody would get an SB-1." I wasn't being snarky. I was being sincere. And I still don't know why anybody would get one. It doesn't give you anything that you don't get in an SB-2T. And the 2T gives you one thing the SB-1 doesn't. Maybe I should say "I don't know why anybody would spend the same to get less"? I guess if the SB-1 is actually less expensive, then that would be a reason, thus explaining to me why. And it's really that simple. You don't have to get your knickers in a twist over my stated opinion.
  20. StuartV

Generally speaking, no two basses sound exactly alike. So, unless you try removing the J pickup and see if the SB-2 now gives you the "same" sound, you can't really, logically, conclude that your preference for one over the other is because of the presence of the J pickup.
  21. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Well, for one thing, the SB-2's bridge pickup places black plastic and metal where a few square inches of stunningly gorgeous G&L finish could go!

TBH, for a couple of years after I got my SB-2 I thought I might prefer an SB-1, but I have found the bridge pickup useful here and there. It's just useful enough that I think the SB-2 is a better choice for me, but I do understand why some players prefer the simplicity of a split-coil/tone setup.