1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&L SB-2 pickups, compared with model P. Soundclips too.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hamfistUK, Feb 22, 2013.

1. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

Just bought a Dimarzio model P to go in my SB-2 and thought someone, somewhere might be interested in hearing a comparison with the original MFD precision pickup.
    These are simply recordings of the P position pickup soloed straight into my computer, no pre-amp, no speaker sim, no EQ, no nuffink.

Also be aware that this is with a 500K vol pot (the original is 250K).
    My first comments are that the MFD's output is about 2x the perceived volume of the model P (which of course you can't tell by the clips), which puts the model P at about the same as a "normal" P pickup.
    The MFD is also much extended in it's output in the low end of the spectrum with more gentle mids. Also extended into the treble compared to the Model P.

In use with my amp, I do prefer the model P. I struggled to contain the massive output, particularly the bass frequency output of the MFD. Some people will of course love all that bass. For me, though, I'm looking for rather more mid-orientated sounds I guess.
    I'm also expecting the Model P will play rather nicer with the bridge pickup. I can';t test that at the moment as I only have a 250K pot for the bridge pickup and it's not playing well with the blend system. When I've got another 500K in there for the bridge I will report back.

Attached Files:

2. harlon

harlon

I liked them both. But would probably agree I did prefer the P. Depending on the song, I could see the SB2 working better, but overall? P.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I have a G&L SB-2, and for a while I had a DiMarzio Model P in an Am. Series Fender P. I think they're similar pickups, because both use ceramic magnets and have more full range power then a conventional alnico split-coil. I agree the G&L MFD has deeper bass, and I often roll off the bass EQ on stage. I also think the G&L has more vintage warmth, but the warmer tone could be due to the bass itself, especially its thick rosewood fretboard. Overall I prefer the G&L (and Lindy Fralin), but the DiMarzio was awesome for heavy rock on stage, with a nice grinding punch.
  4. vgbob

vgbob

Thanks for posting. Just last weekend I rewired my SB-2 temporarily so the bridge volume is a tone control. Just an experiment to see what it sounded like. I ultimately need to
    replace the controls with 500K pots, probably stacked to give me enough pots without modifying the pickguard or guitar.
    After listening to your clips I don't think I need to go as far as
    replacing the pickups. Please let us know what you end up with for wiring when you're finished, or what you've tried....
  5. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

I've now fitted 500K pots to both the model P and the original MFD bridge pickup. I have to say that I like the model P better than the original MFD precision pickup, for the reasons I stated earlier. The model P also enables the bass to behave like a more "traditional" PJ bass. In particular, the 50:50 pickup mix tone is more balanced to my ears, as the bridge pickup is no longer overpowered by the MFD neck pickup.
    It's not better or worse, just different, and I prefer it this way, for my tastes.

Anyway, heres a quick soundclip of the 3 main pickup positions in the new setup ..... 100% model P, 50:50 model P:MFD bridge and 100% MFD bridge. All again simply bass straight into my recording software.

https://soundcloud.com/#alanbridges/mod-p-500s-3-pup-positions

My latest thoughts are that I really like this setup, but I would like to add a tone control. Think I might get a dual pot to give me that functionality, just to take some of the top end off the 50:50 setting. To be honest I would never use the bridge pickup only setting.