1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&L SB-2T Bleg

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Dec 16, 2013.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I've recently had a couple guys approach me about getting G&L to make an SB-2 with a tone control added. As you may know, the G&L SB-2 is a PJ setup that comes stock with just two volume knobs, so there's no way to roll off the highs (other than lowering the volumes and working with the resultant darker tone and lower volume).

Turns out G&L has done this in the past on a "limited run" basis for a dealer in Japan, and they called the model the SB-2T. They've actually made two variations: this first moves the jack to the side of the body and puts the tone control in place of the jack on the pickguard, so you end up with three individual knobs; the second version stacks the two volume knobs and adds a separate tone knob where the bridge volume control usually is.

G&L says they're willing to make some SB-2T basses for me, but I have to order a minimum of three. I'm not super excited about ordering 3 basses to sell 2, but I'll do that if push comes to shove. In them meantime, if there's anyone out there who has always wanted an SB-2 with a tone knob, here's an opportunity to get onboard.

There is no upcharge to have the tone control added, so the usual SB-2 pricing applies. MSRP starts at $1500, and the lowest Internet price you'd see is 75% of that = $1125. And I'll beat that price, but I can't state the discount publicly.

Please PM me ASAP if you're interested! I don't want to hold up these other two guys too long. :help:

Thanks!!
  2. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm up to three interested parties, two of which I'd color as "solid". The more the merrier, of course, but I did want to mention that the stoplight is now yellow. One more "solid", and it'll be green!

:hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper:
  3. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Three solids now, so I think this limited run is going to happen!

I'll know for sure once all the deposits have been collected. Just FYI - a $110 deposit is all it takes to secure one of these basses for you. The balance is not due until the bass is ready to ship 2-3 months down the line.

I need to submit all of the orders at the same time, and I'm hoping to do that the first (or maybe second) week in January. That will just depend on how successful I am at collecting at least three deposits. It's a reasonable assumption at this point that that will not be a problem.

Of course, 5 or 6 orders would not be a bad thing. So please PM me if you'd like to get in on this limited run G&L action!
  4. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oooo - my G&L guy raised a good point today. IF G&L does a price increase in 2014 (and that is definitely an if, he is not saying they are definitely doing one), their price increases are generally effective January 1. So I am going to push a little bit and try to get this all wrapped up by Dec 31st.

So we've only got 12 days left to make this happen. If you want in, I'll need a final set of specs and a deposit in hand by Dec 31st. Feel free to post here or PM me if you have any questions!

Sorry to rush, I just don't want to have to recalibrate pricing on a bunch of different orders if a price increase does indeed come down the line on Jan 1...
  5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Hey Greg, since we're in talks of a limited edition, howabout somewhere down the line we get a RMLE? maybe a LB-100 with a J pickup:bag:
  6. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I like that concept!
  7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

I figured you might. SB-2s for the people who like the grindy,growly tone of the MFDs and the LB-100 PJ for those who like a more vintage flavored tone. I like both, so in that case, you'd probably be getting more of my money.
  8. strost

strost Supporting Member

I'd sign up for this one!!
  9. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Well, if past experience tells us anything, 3 is the magic number to get them to do a special run like this. Of course, that may only be true if it's something they've done before...

Doesn't hurt to ask, right? LOL - I shall inquire...
  10. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    FYI - today is the last day G&L will be open until Jan 2, so I don't expect to receive an answer to the LB-100 question until that first week in January...

However, I will still be able to submit the SB-2T orders in the last week of December because my G&L sales rep will be working during that time. Yay! :)
  11. Mechanical

Mechanical

I'd do this if there was a transparent color. #hatessolids
  12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

He meant solid as in committed to ordering.
  14. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yes, indeed, any of the color options are available. Solids, clears, metallics, flakes. You name it!

For that matter, ANY of the usual G&L bass options are available. The only thing special about these SB-2T's is the added tone control. Beyond that, everything G&L offers is also on the table (quartersawn necks, tinted necks, different neck profiles, matching headstock, scraped binding, etc.).

Click here for a thread that covers the pricing of the various options in detail.
  15. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm going to get the orders submitted today so that I don't definitely have to come into work tomorrow. I may still end up coming in, but this way I won't HAVE to. :)

I've got the three customer orders ready to go, and I'm adding a fourth order for my store stock. This one will be available in 2-3 months if anyone is interested!

SB-2T ($1500)
    - Ruby Red Metallic
    - White Pearloid Pickguard (+$50)
    - Alder/RW
    - Color Matched Headstock (+$150)
    - 3 knobs & side jack
    - Lightweight

TOTAL MSRP = $1700 / Internet = $1275
  16. Temcat

Temcat

Subscribed. Don't have the money but excited about the whole thing.
  17. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Welcome, Temcat!

It's cool! The orders have been submitted, so the wheels are in motion. I actually have a few more days to add an order or two if somebody decides they want to jump on board. G&L is shutdown until Jan 2, so I can add single orders until then. After that, it will revert to another 3-order minimum...

There unfortunately won't be much info to share between now and the time that the basses ship. I'll receive the invoice from G&L a day or two before the basses arrive, and that's really all the notice I'll get. So no progress pics, no status updates, etc. :(
  18. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm Supporting Member

The one you ordered for the shop is 90% of what I'd have ordered for myself. Need to talk to the wife, I don;t see this going in my favor :) #8 neck profile, yeah?
  19. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yes, indeed! It's the standard SB-2 neck, a #8.

If there's anything you'd like changed, I can inquire. G&L usually isn't thrilled to changes specs once an order goes in, but it doesn't hurt to ask...
  20. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

hey Greg, have you asked G&L yet if this is possible?