1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G&L SB2 pickup size ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hamfistUK, Feb 1, 2013.

1. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

I have a nice tribute SB2. Does anyone know if the neck pickup is standard P pickup size and shape ? Would a precision pickup fit straight in ? Has anyone actually done this ?

Measuring up with a tape it looks close, but maybe the rout is not quite long enough. As I said, it's tight !

And, yes, before a load of you say I won't get any better than the MFD pickup. Well maybe so, then I'll just put it straight back in. I like to tinker though, and wouldn't mind trying out a Model P for example.

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Yes - the MFD P is a standard P size. I haven't swapped anything else into a G&L but I have swapped an MFD P into a Fender HMT and Rondo shortscale with no problems.

3. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

Yes, the model P from Dimarzio is great. I use one too.

4. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

That's useful to know. Thanks.

I guess it's still a tiny possibility that the G&L pickup is slightly smaller than a standard P, meaning the MFD would fit into a P, but possibly not the other way round ? Anyone else actually fitted a P pickup into their SB2 ??

5. Register to disable this ad