G&L Tribute JB-2 Natural-Rosewood vs MIM Fender (Price difference is huge)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bradwarden, Feb 2, 2014.

1. bradwarden

bradwarden

I am looking for a jazz bass to replace my Cort B4 (I am not good with active basses).

In my Country, prices are like this:

G&L Tribute JB-2 : 600 usd
    Fender Standard Jazz Bass (MIM) : 1100 usd
    Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass 60s : 725 usd

With this price tags, G&L Tribute Bass looks line a no-brainer, but I would like to ask you about the hardware quality of this basses, I know there are different quality in same brand/model basses but i also heard that G&L basses have a quality stability.

Thank you for replies.

2. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Those prices are certainly bizarre. The G & L is a great bass. Hardware is top notch. IMHO, the G&L is the best bass of the three you listed and apparently the cheapest in your country. I wouldn't hesitate to grab the JB-2.

3. bradwarden

bradwarden

Thank you for response. In Turkey, every brand but Fender is selling with a reasonable price, but the Fenders are like 3 times expensier than USA prices.

4. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Interesting. The price you listed for the Fender MIM is about what you'd expect to pay for an MIA Jazz here.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bradwarden

bradwarden

MIA Jazz is 2060 usd. (American Standart)

Anyway, i guess the GL is the only option here.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sweet goodness $2060.00 for a MIA Jazz? I need to load up some MIA Fenders and head over there beautiful country by the way and the G&L is a great bass.

8. Makatak

Makatak

No brainer, JB-2 has Swamp Ash Boby, 6 bolt neck joint, massive saddle lock bridge, superior quality tuners with Allen key shaft lock, Satin Jass width neck, P Body , mightymite pots , high output G&l Alnico pickups, A mile away from a Mexi Jazz which every student has in their room.
    No need to upgrade the G&l , only things I did to mine was a full shielding job so uber quiet now, even under light dimmers , filed the fret ends and put some Black knurled knobs on it instead of the chrome ones . MIne is the three tone sunburst with Maple neck. I run it through aither an Aguilar DB928 or aphex Bass Xciter outboard preamp before my rig and its the Best Bass tone Ive had,

If I DID see a cheap MIM Jazz the first thing id check is the neck , ive had several go bad ie. run out of truss rod adjustment and still a Banana. They were all about the 2004 era . The Classic Vibes ive tried have O.K tone but seem to have really weak output, like about 20% less than the G&L, even less than a mid nineties Korean Squier I had , I know you can just " turn your amp up " to compensate, but I like plenty of honk up front instead of trying to bleed it out at the end.The tinted Gloss neck on the Classic vibes is a bit meh too .

Good luck

9. bradwarden

bradwarden

Thank you for your response, for me, the hardware and general quality of the instrument is as important as the tone, with your review and also other people's comments, G&L Tribute can be trusted for the quality for the price.

10. bradwarden

bradwarden

I am getting an unused Tribute JB-2 for 500 usd (2years warranty etc etc)

Thank you for responses.

11. johnson79

johnson79

Definitely the G&L. They're great basses and made very well. No issues there.

12. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

One point of clarification, from someone who has had both the Tribute and USA versions:
    The Tribute's pickup routings are identical in size, whereas the USA routings are different. If you plan on doing any pickup replacement, this is important to know.

I do like the Tribby, and would recommend it to anyone. I do not have mine, any longer, but have 2 USA versions that I would never part with. They are my main gig workhorses. I did put DiMarzio humbuckers in both of them, and they are very quiet, in all environments.

The JB-2 does not get as much love as the other G&L basses with MFD pickups, and is now being overshadowed by the company's MJ-4 offering (and the announcement that there is a MJ-5 in the works). I love mine for being simple, dependable, playing like buttah, and sounding great.

Enjoy playing yours, wherever it may be from.

13. LoTone

LoTone

I do not understand why the Squier is more expensive than the G&L. I had both and I would go G&L all the way.

14. ombuki

ombuki

When i saw this, I instantly understand that you are in Turkey :)

Checking this bass for myself too, how are your experience so far?