G&L Tribute L2000 vs. SBMM Ray34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Einherjar, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Einherjar

Einherjar

So, the past couple of months or so I've been GAS'ing for a Stingray/Ray34. Even more so after playing several in some local stores. But as a result of looking around here too much, I've gained some interest in the Tribute L2000 (can't afford a US model). Seems like it would be a much more tonally diverse instrument.

Just looking for personal experience with how the two stack up because I have never seen a G&L (tribute or otherwise) in any stores around here. Comparisons between necks, hardware, and electronics quality are appreciated. And as far as anyone has experience with the fit an finish of the Tribute models, that information would be appreciated as well. Also, are the L2000s settings as fun to mess with as they seem?

2. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

I think the Tribute is outstanding. I think its a better bass than imported Ray. Stingrays are great but I think G&L has a better import copy. I think its truer to the quality of its american counterpart. Im sure other will disagree.

3. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I can't speak for the G&L's but I bought a Ray35 about 2 years ago then an actual Stingray 5 about a year ago. If my eyes are closed, I can't tell the difference other than the finish on the back of the necks. SBMM's are fantastic basses. But I'm sure that the Tributes are just a good. You may have to just see what feels better in your hands.

4. Einherjar

Einherjar

Yeah, I love the way the Ray feels in my hands. I'm just also interested in the Tribute L2000 at this point. I'll probably wind up with both eventually. Just curious if anyone found either much higher in quality than the other. And unfortunately I can't seem to find any G&Ls in stores here. Maybe I need to look harder :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mystic38

mystic38

The G&L tributes are great quality, I have an SB-2 and it is flawless...

7. Audix99

Audix99

I tried the G&L Tribute L2000 once last year but I had to return it because it came with a worst neck fit ever (thus created Hugh dead spots all over the fretboard).
    I had to return it but could not get another one because GC (and MF) had none in stock at that time.
    Had it not had that problem, I would've kept it because I liked the fat, wide neck and the wide tonal range.
    Other than that serious problem, its fit & finish was really good.
    Heavy, but well-built instrument. Just wish it didn't have that neck problem.
    BTW, the pickups and preamp in Tribute L2000 is the same as MIA model, I was told.

Then this year (a month ago), I bought a new Sterling Ray34CA, which is different from Ray34 that you are inquiring about.
    But they are coming out of the same factory (I assume), and the fit & finish of that Ray34CA was a top notch.
    But I had to return it because I wasn't that fond of the narrow nut width.
    Yes I do like a baseball bat neck.

Now, if you are planning on buying a brand new, then here's another option: Ibanez ATK800E.

That is what I got after returning the Ray34CA, and this one has the BEST fit & finish out of all three, which are all in the same price range.
    You may want to consider this ATK800E as well because it really is a good one.
    Almost as versatile as L2000 and can do Ray sound reasonably well. And real top notch fit & finish.
    And the pickups and preamp are the same as their $1700 MIJ Prestige ATK1200.

Oh, and to make your choice even more difficult, now there's G&L M2000, which is considerably different from L2000.
    Also in the same price range and I've heard good things about this bass.

FYI. Here's a review from PremierGuitar.com
    It has 5 reviews, 3 of which are M2000, ATK800 and Ray34CA.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazi...nez_Shecter_Sterling_by_Music_Man.aspx?Page=1

Though they are not the exact bass you are considering, the reviews will probably give you a better idea about the differences in those brands.

Best of luck in your decision.

8. lonote

lonote

I have both and use both. The fit and finish on both is top-notch. The Tribute has more tones on tap but I prefer the Ray; it has all I need. I find myself diddling with the controls on the Tribute where I don't do that on the Ray. Both play well and have similar necks. The Tribute is heavier but the Ray is no lightweight. Both basses are fine quality instruments, they are really comparable to each other. I prefer the Ray because it feels better to me (which is one of those intangible things) but I'm sure you would be happy with either.

9. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Can't go wrong either way but I dig the g&l more. It's more of a personal pref than anything though. Also don't sleep on that Atk. I haven't played that one but asks are severely underrated in my op and that is a premiere version

10. Tupac

Tupac

The Ray just plain sounds better.

11. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    G&L makes some of my favorite basses. Love my US L-2000 and the Tributes are generally very well made.

12. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Gonna vote G&L too :)

13. Einherjar

Einherjar

Thanks for the opinions and experiences everyone. Right now I think the G&L has taken the lead. Since I've yet to actually play it though I figure I'll order it from GC or something to test run it. And if I don't like it, I'll swap it out for the Ray34.

14. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

I'd vote for the ray34, the one I bought is a superb player with lots of different tones that all bring the thunder and came perfectly set up with just a need for my prefered set of strings. A thing to keep in mind, sbmm released a couple new finishes for this year and they look amazing, but it may take some time before they are available

15. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Both are great basses. Be aware that both the G&L Tribute series and the. SBMM's are made in the exact same factory (by Cort Guitars) so the quality is pretty much identical.

At a push I'd go for the Ray34.....if you can find it in the limited edition white!:)

16. Einherjar

Einherjar

I figured they were considering you don't yet TOO many imports from Indonesia. But I also figured there's a chance certain brands get placed under higher scrutiny during QC depending on how much the contract the factory has with the brand is worth.