1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

G&L Tuners on a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Britbonic, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Anyone ever try this?

Trying to lighten the load on my Stingray 5. Unfortunately, Musicman only offers lightweight tuners on some of their newer models like the Bongo, Big Al and they are a different size and design. Pretty certain that both G&L and Musicman use the same Schaller BML tuners. G&L makes a lightweight version that has some aluminum parts.

Looks like they should easily sway out but wondered if anyone has experience with this.
  2. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

OK, have done some hands on research so now I can answer my own question.

The G&L and Musicman Stingray tuners are both made by Schaller. I had one of each so was able to compare. Difference are slight - MM has slightly shorter shaft where the between key and gears. G&L uses an aluminum post instead of brass or whatever metal MM uses. That's what makes them lighter weight than the MM. They also have a dull finish where the MM version is chrome and shiny.

The Musicman tuner weighs 3.1 oz and the G&L weighs 3.1 oz for a difference of .8 oz. On an SR 5 that's 5 x .8 oz or 4 oz less. So essentially, you shave off 1/4 pound. Not a huge difference but every little bit helps. Initially, I was planning to purchase some G&L tuners but now I'm going to see if I can just buy the aluminum posts and swap those out. If it works, I'll end up with an SR5 under 9lbs!