1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G-Lab BC-1 compressor... big thumbs up from me!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongomania, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Last year I was hipped to the Polish brand G-Lab by this post from a Canadian TB'er:
    At the time there were no US dealers, and I was hesitant to pay full price anyway; but I just recently managed to score a BC-1, and my review is now posted: G-Lab BC-1

Great googly-moogly I like this pedal! As I say in the review it's not a "magic tone" machine, but the sheer flexibility and utility of it is a whole new level of WIN.

Now I'm probably going to hunt down more G-Lab pedals, like their reverb.

[​IMG]

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Previously cybersnyder Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    When Bongo gets excited about a pedal, there's something there.

3. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones! Supporting Member

I still love my G Lab Bass Wowee wah above all others I've tried, and I've tried a lot.

4. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Bongo, in the review you mention that it doesn't roll off highs and lows, but does it accentuate them compared to, say, the Rothwell's completely flat signal?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

7. bongomania

Disclosures:
    No, I'd describe it as similarly flat in a static sense, but noticeably "fuller sounding" in the lows during stronger compression. It's a tough thing to put into words because I think the difference is not in how they'd look under spectrum analysis, but how the compression reacts to different frequencies.

8. bongomania

Disclosures:
    A couple of guys on Ebay, as far as I have seen. That's where I scored mine.

9. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    If wah is your thing I highly recommend their woowee wah for bass - I have used it for about two years now and it works really good and seems to be really well built.

10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    On one hand this sounds insanely intriguing....on the other it sounds overwhelming. Like it's not a beginner's comp. More to ponder more to ponder. But I think I'll be pulling the trigger on something, soon. The Rothwell being the front runner before I read this thread.

11. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

OT: At first I was like, "Man, that guy really loves compressors, has *three* on his board!"

Then I noticed it was Bongomania, lol.

/OT

The G-Lab doesn't look too difficult to dial in, unless I'm missing something- there seem to be only two knobs per compressor stage, right?

That sfx MicroComp looks "sechsy" to borrow a word from one fanatic who haunts this electronic playground... mmmeoww!

12. bongomania

Disclosures:
    The Glab isn't difficult to use, but what MSU is referring to is the switches hidden in the side panels, not visible in that photo.

From a beginner standpoint, the only switch that needs to be dealt with is the high/low input gain, which essentially is a very coarse threshold control. The "dump" LED will be the guideline for whether that switch should be set high or low; and my rule of thumb for finding a starting point with threshold is generally to have the LED flashing only about 50% of the time you're playing.

From there, it's a simple two-knob compressor. The "release" toggle is fine in either position, and all the other switching business is about channel selection, not about the compression.

That said, IMO the whole point of this pedal is the channel selection, so I'd only bother with it if you are excited about being able to quickly foot-switch between different amounts of compression, for different instruments or for going from fingerstyle to slap, etc. And the switches for that are not hard to figure out. :) There's a little chart explaining all the settings printed on the underside of the pedal, too.

13. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

Which is handy...until you apply the velcro.

14. bongomania

Disclosures:
  15. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

Well...there's me pwn'd. Is that new? I've never seen clear before.

16. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Yeah, that's a lot of features and the variety on it intimidates me. Kinda like your first time being with three chicks at once....not that the compressor can laugh at you and go tell all its other compressor friends how you kept checking Bongo's super secret love moves blog during the playing session to figure things out..... :bag:

17. caeman

caeman The Root Master

18. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Bongo! I'm really Glab, uh, glad you like the BC-1, but this is the first I've seen of the SFX MicroComp. How 'bout a "front-and-center" shot of that!
    :hyper:

Meowww indeed!
    Cheers,
    FF

[Tweety-bird] I tawt I taw a micwo-comwessoh! [/tweety-bird]

[Sylvester] Thufferin thuckotash, thaahhhts one schecschy look'n' comprethor! [/Sylvestor]

[Tweety-bird] I did! I did taw a wittle-bitty micwo-compwessoh! [/Tweety-bird]

19. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Hey Bongo! Still enjoying your G-lab? I sure am... I have also been using the Dual-Reverb for a year or so now. Again, by far the best reverb I have ever used. G-lab has a very unique product line.. Uber high quality in every respect and just fantastic sounding analog effects. Very nice stuff!

20. fasto

fasto

yes, i agree ... very good wahwah, but ugly design (but who cares).

21. Crabby

Crabby

I haven't tried the G-Lab comp but have their chorus and it is just superb on bass. It also has dual channels so you can have a subtle setting and then something more intense. There is no loss of low end or volume. It's just a sweet pedal in every way. It replaced my Diamond Halo which I had thout was one of the best on bass. I have a friend who uses the G-Lab delay and just rag about it. As far as I know, thee is only one dealer in Western Canada at the moment.