G String Problem

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by cst bass, Jan 23, 2014.

1. cst bass

cst bass

Hi,

Due to a hand injury I had to take an extended break from my bass. Ive kept it in tune but haven't played. What is strange is I found today that the position of my G string on the fingerboard has changed. Its much higher on the nut side, and is now practically resting on the fingerboard near the bridge. The string buzzes on all notes and is not playable.

I would like to take it in for a professional set up, however Im just wondering what might have caused this.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Michael Case

Michael Case

Possibly the top has sunk on the G string side?

3. 360guy

360guy

Check the sound post! It may have dropped. Another possibility is the fingerboard has warped. This seems unlikely but I have seen some that weren't well seasoned and they warp like they just came off the banana boat.

4. cst bass

cst bass

The sound post is still in place. To my eye the fingerboard doesn't appear warped. Could the bridge play a role? If it shifted some?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. keiranohara

keiranohara

Disclosures:
    Luthier at AES Fine Instruments
    If your bridge has moved down or leaned away from the fingerboard, the strings would be lower on the fingerboard. Do you know what your string length should be vs. what its at now?

7. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

If the bridge has moved towards the bass side F hole it will cause the G string to be closer to the fingerboard.

I hope you can resolve your issue soon!

Joe