G String started to buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scopey, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Scopey

Scopey

Hi, The G string (f in my case) has recently started to buzz/rattle when I pluck it. It is not a constant thing, while I play there is no buzzing/rattling at all, but sometimes when I play, regardless of the fret or open note it buzzes/rattles. How can I fix it?

2005 Warwick Rockbass with Cirkle-k strings.

Thanks

2. Scopey

Scopey

Hi, The G string (f in my case) has recently started to buzz/rattle when I pluck it. It is not a constant thing, while I play there is no buzzing/rattling at all, but sometimes when I play, regardless of the fret or open note it buzzes/rattles. How can I fix it?

2005 Warwick Rockbass with Cirkle-k strings.

Thanks

3. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

First: Determine where the rattle/buzz in coming from. Usually, it's the nut orone fret, the bridge or a pickup. First things first.

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Quick fix = raise the bridge saddle on that string
    Best fix = take it to the shop for a set up

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scopey

Scopey

How do I determine which one is causing it? I am totally new to bass repair

I will try this thanks. I will rather fix it myself and start learning it, I really dislike sending the bass for every little thing. A man gotta take care of his own bass :)

7. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

If you would like to learn to setup your own bass, that is great. I think every player should be able to adjust their bass exactly as they like it, not what some tech thinks they might like. A Setup is a five step procedure. There are many, many tutorials available. On YouTube, search bass setup. Read as many as you can on the internet. Fender.com is a good place to start.

8. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

If this just started to happen with your last string change check the wraps on the tuning post.

9. Lownote38

Lownote38

A good tech will ask you questions about what you like before they do a set up.
    I usually set up my own basses, but sometimes you just run into a problem that only a pro can fix. Luckily, I'm in Nashville, and we have a number of techs that I trust if I run into an issue.
    I learned what I know from one of those techs because she actually let me watch how she solved each issue. This went from a routine set up, to wiring and more complex fixes. She always asked me what I liked in a set up, and made me play the bass through an amp before I paid for anything (something all techs should do). Sometimes she heard things that I didn't even hear and would do a quick adjustment as I was playing.
    A bad tech just does a factory spec set up and charges you too much for it without much regard as to what you actually want.

10. Scopey

Scopey

I actually put up the strings like 3 months ago, but the problem started a week or 2 ago.

Unfortunetly I don't have that luxury, I live in a small town and the guitarshop here actually sends the basses to another place for fixing. The best I can do is ask them what the problem was and how they fixed it :( But that is also another reason why I want to be able to do as much as possible by myself

11. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

What a wonderfully fertile ground to plant some vibrator jokes on with that kind of a tread title :D.

Must.....resist...

By a process of elimination.

Dampen/mute/remove suspected causes one by one.

Quite often the TR starts to resonate, and that can be a total PITA to diagnose or repair.
    Sometimes just a nudge on the TR nut is all that it takes to stop/move the resonance.

Regards
    Sam

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Did you install the last set of strings? How many wraps on the string post? Set your witness points? Proper string height? Bridge saddles parallel to the baseplate (not tilting)?

Posting pics sometimes helps. For finer detail, take it to GlamourShots or Olan Mills.

Riis