G string won't stay in tune on my Stingray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded

as the title suggests, I just finished setting up my stingray. I adjusted the neck and saddles to my liking. Everything is fine except the G string goes half a step down instantly as I start to play. Im sure its strung correctly and is sitting in the saddle where it needs to.

anybody encounter this kind of problem on their EBMM?

2. tmdazed

tmdazed

Did you reuse strings or put new on , also check the saddle and make sure that there isnt a small burr on it . There are a lot of reasons this can happen, loose machine head, string getting close to breaking , small burr on the saddle, overlapped string winding on the machine head post

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

The G string is too short and is slipping on the tuning peg.

4. Bobster

Bobster

Have you set a "witness point" on the strings?

This is basically sharply bending the strings over the saddle. It helps with intonation and holding pitch.

It's also normal for new strings to stretch a little as well. What's the guage of the G?

Bob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded

thanks for all the responses. these arent new strings, they are worn in rotosound 66's..i think .45-.105

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

When the G string goes down half a step instantly, and then you retune, does the string now stay properly in tune? Or does it constantly go down in tune?

If it constantly goes down in tune, it's slipping on the tuner. You need more wraps around the peg.

If after going down in tune, but then stays in tune after being retuned, there's a chance it's binding in the nut slot.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1 to not enough wraps around the post.

sometimes you can cheat by wrapping the first wind around half the post (laying the string back through the split) then winding the rest around the whole thing.

also, re-installing worn-out (not "in") strings is not a great idea; you probably have nice dents on them where they hit the frets on the bass before, and now you never know when one might break.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... Walter, I have bought used strings before just to try, and found them cut a bit too short for my tastes .. I never thought of this ... duh!! ... thank you, sir :)