1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

G30 cutting out at practice

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

The title is pretty self explanatory...
    Its definitely that wonky battery door on the transmitter that is causing the dropout. If I put any kind of force on the door, the lights on both units spaz out, and it cuts out.
    I bought this used over a year ago and it has given me no issues until now..

What should I do? I tried to duct tape the door shut but it was still cutting out..
    I was thinking about getting the G50 transmitter but I'm unsure if its compatable with the G30 receiver

2. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

Come on peeps help me out

3. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

I have no experience with the unit..... though I hope to soon.
    however it seems to me the answer to this problem would be a "ranger band"- which is a 1" cut out of a bicycle tire innertube and used as a super strong rubberband.
    Good luck.

4. rhopper

rhopper

I found that different batteries will fit better than others. Also, I learned to play close attention to sliding the little metal part all the way over and I have not had any real problems

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nagrom

Nagrom

I've noticed different 9 volts fit stuff differently. I have to fold up a little paper spacer for one guitar in order for the battery to make proper contact. Maybe your issue is as simple as that.

7. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

*Fixed the problem.*

Your all gonna laugh at me because I didn't do what I should have done in the first place..
    I switched from channel 6 to channel 3 and there were no dropouts at all! It worked fine at a gig last night.

:D

8. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

I had a G30, and it was the most unreliable POS I've ever owned, regardless of the channel setting, I've had bad luck with Line6 in the past too... IMHO it is all overpriced fancified made in China garbage.

9. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

And i've had the exact opposite experience with Line 6. My G30 has been 100% solid. I did the innertube wrap a while ago just to be safe. Zero problems with all my L6 stuff over the years. I have a HD750 head and LD410 cab with shortboard too that has been nothing but reliable. I'd buy another wireless from them in a heartbeat, but the new shure unit with the tuner builtin is looking nicer to me.

10. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

G30 was the guinea pig. Put that ship on craigslist and buy a G50.

I have never had a problem with mine.

ever

2 years and holding

11. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

It's definitely a problem. Mine does it from time to time and the only way I can fix it for a time is to bend the battery terminal on the inside of the case. I love the unit and it works good but the battery door is definitely a problem.

12. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

I just did my first gigs with my new (to me) g30 and it was flawless in everyway. And it ran three nights ( 12 hours) on the same set of batteries.

Loving it.

13. synterx

The piece of inner tube around the body is a must for me. Not only does it keep the battery door shut, but it kind of protects the channel switch from getting bumped.

I put the transmitter in my back pocket, not clipped on to anything, so this wrap of rubber works perfect.

The only time I've had it cut out on me is when I was standing quite literally 2 inches away from the unit. I hate cords hanging, so I use the G30 no matter how tight the stage, and I was almost leaning on the amp/rack case where the G30 was attached via velcro. Once in awhile I'd hear a split second gap, about 3 times during the whole gig. I couldn't figure it out until I got home and played around and realized I had to be a foot or more away to get that dealt with.

Attached Files:

14. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

Clever. Simple. Cheap. Works. :bassist:

15. synterx

I'm a mountain biker, for 20+ years, and had a bunch of tubes around. I read somewhere about cutting them up and making rubber bands. I think I even got the idea for the G30 fix from TB in some old thread. Anyway, I use the bands all over the garage now. The engineering team kind of dropped the ball on the battery door design though. The tiny little door clip and the amount of pressure it takes to push the door closed are scary. I see no good reason to not make that whole interface much sturdier. Just bad design IMO.

16. newwavefrank

newwavefrank

I had a G90. Had more dropouts than any other unit I have ever owned including the old Nady units I started using in the late 80's. Had it looked at by repair shop ended up selling it. I even had two transmitters and they both did the same thing.

17. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

Awsome unit (I have the G 50) had some dropout issues a while back, ended up, it was
    A faulty cable, found a dude on eBay to make me an awsome custom cable, totally solved the issue, I use the unit on a pedalboard twice weekly (rehearsal and gig) and it is flawless, enjoy,