1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gage problems!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lazarevicmass, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Hey everybody! I have a MIA Jazz Bass, i want to go a little heavier on the gage of the strings i use, thinking about Roto's Steve's .110, but! Everytime i put heavy gage strings on the bass, the E string sounds dead, super flat, horrible! I have to settle for a medium gage, I dont know what the problem is, or what to do about it! Help please! Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Octavio

Octavio

Spelling problems! (It's "gauge")
  3. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Ahahahhahah! Sorry!
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Does that .110 gauge string fit into the nut or does it rest on top of the slot? What gauge is your "medium" gauge?
  5. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

You know what i mean! :)
  6. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

It fits perfectly, thats what i thought at first, but no! Its all good there! Its D'addarios Chromes , .105 medium gauge! :(
  7. Octavio

Octavio

Anyway, sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I was looking at some of those strings recently but decided to pass. .110 just seems like it would be too thick for a four string. Just my opinion. I hope someone out there has the answer for you. I personally use D'Addario lights on my P-Bass and they sound great.
  8. pfox14

pfox14

The difference between a .105" and a .110" is only 5 thousandths of an inch. Practically no difference at all.
  9. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

But they are two different sounds once its on! I know, i put them on the same way, work on action, intonation the same! The fit on the neck accommodates the same! I'm not sure, i'm lost! I'm lucky i have you guys, the knowledge and expertise here is unbelievable! Thanks for trying to help!
  10. klokker

klokker

It's not just the way they pass over the nut, but also the saddle(s). I have a bass where if the string guage is too big the low string goes bad. Could just be a bad string as well.