Gage Realist and bridge foot curve

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by longfinger, Apr 13, 2014.

1. longfinger

longfinger

Hi all,

I'm currently performing on an Eminence EUB with a Gage Realist. The bridge foot is curved on the treble side to match the top, however on the bridge's bass side foot on top of the Realist it is straight flat. Is this normal Realist setup? I'm not sure who set up the Eminence EUB. ( I don't own it)

Thanks.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Long Finger,
    Normally, the bridge feet are carved, so they conform to the curvature of the top. The Realist mounted on the Eminence is designed specifically for that instrument, and has the same high output as the early Realist's, before Gage reconfigured them. Gary Bartig, sells that version from his website.

"The Modified Realist™ Pickup http://www.gelbass.com/bass/Eminence_parts.html

Made specifically for the Eminence Portable Upright Bass by David Gage, with modifications designed by Eminence maker Gary Bartig. The modified Realist™ reproduces clearly the very important leading edge of a note when played pizzicato, and also offers full, smooth tone when played arco. And although this design offers more harmonic overtone content than the standard Realist, it is in no way harsh or scratchy sounding."

It looks slightly different, than a standard Realist.

Ric

Attached Files:

3. aaronallen

aaronallen

No, thats not normal. My eminence came with both feet fitted to the top.
  4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Mine, too. The Realist pickup will conform to the curvature of the top and a properly fitted bridge foot.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Basses bought in the USA (from reputable dealers) have a full setup by Gary and include the "special" Realist. I'm to understand that some Eminence basses bought through Long & McQuade in Canada are sold in a way that they bypass Gary's shop and therefore aren't set up (at least not as well) and may not come with the Realist that has been optimized for the Eminence.
  7. longfinger

longfinger

Thanks. It is odd how one bridge foot was curved but the other not. This bass was bought in the USA, though I'm not sure where. It is on board a cruise ship based in Ft Lauderdale Florida. I'll check out the procedure regarding having it set up properly.
  8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur

Disclosures:
    Makes me wonder if perhaps the previous owner poorly "replaced" a lost or damaged foot with one from another adjustable bridge. If you look closely, the grain should match and be similar, as the feet and upper part are cut together from the same piece of wood.
  9. Antonio Zemuner

Antonio Zemuner

Hi Everyone,
    I bought my Eminence 4 months ago and the realist pickup just conked out! I was wondering if it has anything to do with modified version. My question is: which one should I buy? The stock realist or the modified one? Thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  10. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur

Disclosures:
    That's a surprise. Take a close look at the bridge - has it started to tilt towards the neck? Loosen the strings, re-seat the bridge so it's perfectly perpendicular (and sitting squarely on the pickup) and I wouldn't be surprised if the pickup "un-conks-out."
  11. Antonio Zemuner

Antonio Zemuner

Mark,
    An update: back home, plugged to my Hartke kickback amp, it works - although I have to adjust the volume knob now to 12 o'clock, before the problem, the volume was at 9 o'clock. My point is: plugging my bass to 4 different amps so far, all I get is lots of hum and no bass frequency, and with the volume all the way up! Gary (the bass maker) suggested to cut two small squares a of electric tape and put them under the copper part. I did this and volume is back in my amp. But not sure if this trick is going to work elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I don't understand why an electric tape could help to solve a pickup sound failure.
  12. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Added pressure on the pickup elements.
    Mark Gollihur likes this.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Antonio,
    I've had several realist, and sooner or later they can and will fail. Since you've only had the bass 4 months, I would think you should ask for a replacement, as Gage warranties that unit for 1 year. Unless
    the modified version has a different warranty. Using electrical tape would add another layer of insulation between the pickup and the top of your instrument, but IMHO the pickup should not have those problems.
  14. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

No, it distributes the pressure better than before, so the pressure reaches the relevant parts of the pickup better than before. So the bridge feet need to be shaped better to the top, then you can work without the tape, getting a sound with a bit more highs/mids.

But Ric could be right and the pickup might be damaged, so in this case it might work again with tape/reshaping, but probably not for long.