1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gain vs volume vs bass (or low)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by apollo18, Jan 27, 2013.

1. apollo18

apollo18

I bought a new combo amp (acoustic 115) and my question is when I'm turning it up to get louder, are you supposed to turn up the gain and volume in equal parts or turn the gain way up and the volume a little or vise versa? Turning up the bass works to but I'm asking because I don't want to damage anything and honestly I don't get why there is a gain and volume and not just a volume. Thanks for shedding some light on the situation for me :)

2. Mykk

Mykk

Turn up gain to get audible, set your EQ to desired tone. Turn up gain until you clip, then slIghtly back off. Use main/master to adjust volume

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Gain" is the volume going INTO the amp. This allows you to get more distortion, or less. "Master" is the volume coming OUT OF the amp. This allows you to crank the Gain as high as you want, but still turn down the volume, if you want a driven sound but not so loud.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The preamp section in that amp may or may not be capable of pleasant overdrive. Generally you want a full signal from the pre that isn't clipped unless it is pleasantly distorting. Generally with a passive bass I will max the instrument output.

5. Register to disable this ad