1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Galliard Sonata

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by turf3, Dec 16, 2013.

1. turf3

turf3

I have been working on Mvts. 1 & 2 of a Galliard Sonata in D minor, which is in the "String Festival Solos" book. [I am not sure of the exact title; don't have the book in front of me.] From some quick research it appears this is Sonata no. 5 or 6. It is not clear whether this was originally a double bass piece, or maybe bassoon?

Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of the complete piece of music? If it is not originally written for double bass, is anyone aware of a transcription for double bass that contains the entire Sonata rather than just the two movements?

It seems that this is a fairly commonly used piece for contests/grade 5 auditions, but maybe only the first two movements. I would like to try to perform the whole thing.

2. neilG

neilG

3. Greg Stevenson

Greg Stevenson

The solo is from String Festival Solos - Volume 2 for Double Bass by Samuel Applebaum (Belwin/Mills Publication).

The piece is taken from Six Sonatas for the Bassoon or Violoncello with a Thorough Bass for the Harpsichord (see pdf file on University of Rochester website below):
    https://urresearch.rochester.edu/in...tion?institutionalItemId=2727&versionNumber=1

The cello part in the file above is in tenor and bass clef with only figured bass accompaniment, not a typical full piano accompaniment. You could use it if you find an accompanist who is knowledgable in Baroque figured bass and the corresponding numbering system (the numbers above the figured bass line correspond to which intervals above the bass note to play to create the chordal harmony part). You could use the melody line but would have to transpose some notes up an octave, as Applebaum has done to produce the double bass part. Compare the scores to see for yourself. Other options might be:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/sonata-no-5-in-d-minor-sheet-music/16741045

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/sonata-no-5-in-d-minor-sheet-music/16741094

First one is arranged for bassoon and piano, second one is trombone and piano. Note that the piano parts in those two books seem to be the same as each other but are different than the one in Applebaum's piano accompaniment book (different arrangers).

Also, it looks like the melody articulation is different between the bassoon/trombone books and Applebaum's double bass book, a bit more intricate/ornamented in the bassoon and trombone books.

Check out a performance here of Mvts. 1, 2, and 4 here:

The harpsichordist is using Applebaum's accompaniment for Mvts. 1 and 2, and sounds like the music in the pdf file for Mvt. 4.